Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream Question...

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm by luckytricey

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever frozen the whimsical bakehouse buttercream? Not the one with egg whites, but the regular one with butter and crisco and boiling water. I want to make an ice cream cake, and wondered if anyone had ever tried using it. I made it one time, and it was the best cross between buttercream and whipped topping, I thought. But I didn't think to try freezing it icon_sad.gif Anyone?

3 replies
luckytricey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckytricey Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 4

I find freezing most successful using all shortening, no butter and (meringue powder), a very basic buttercream, just flavor with butter and almond flavoring.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, okay. So does the butter make it too hard when it freezes? Do you think that indydebi's recipe would be a good one to use then? The cake is for my dad, and he is really picky, so I really don't wanna screw it up. All the ice cream recipes say to use cool whip, but I just don't think that's firm or creamy enough. It's too fluffy.

luckytricey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckytricey Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, the butter makes it harder. They suggest cool whip because it is not as sweet as buttercream and it does hold okay, when frozen it is not as fluffy as you may think, just decorating is a little more difficult and you have to work fast! I forgot to add that you will want to whip the buttercream for at least 12 minutes on the highest speed to add air and create a light texture and flavor. And yes, I had to take a look, but indydebi's recipe is just fine. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%