Roll-Back Pricing On Wedding Cakes @ Wal-Mart

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 2:56am by txnonnie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamariposa

.... and they charged me for number of people instead of per serving of the actual cake.

How does that work? icon_confused.gif They bake cake for 200, only serve 75 so they only charge you for 75?

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #32 of 36

That is exactly what they did. I am not sure if that is their policy or they just gave me a deal. I paid $160 for my cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #33 of 36

my goodness, I've never heard of that! Hopefully they didn't take the partially cut leftover cakes and try to sell them to another bride! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_4_dumplins

I checked out the wedding cake dummy at our Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed at how beautiful it was. Cornelli lace, very beautiful swags, and the roses were perfect. I guess it all depends on how much training and experience the decorator has.

It totally depends on that. The wedding cake dummy at my Walmart has cornelli lace, but it's an amateur Walmart cornelli lace. Basically, all they did was hold the frosting bag with a number 5 tip on it a few inches away from the cake and squeeze as hard as they could. The lace overlaps (how true cornelli lace is not supposed to do) and it just irks me that they use such a large tip. It seriously just looks like a bunch of icing slopped on the cake and some gumpaste flowers stuck in it to fancy it up.

Honestly, if you don't care about how it looks, just sell scored kitchen cakes.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #35 of 36

My DH and I checked out our Walmart's cake section after I'd taken the Wilton class where you learn the basketweave. They had a wedding cake with that design, so I called my hubby over to look. Sweet hubby says my first basketweave was better than their's on display. An older gentleman behind the counter came over to see if he could wait on us. Turns out he was bragging about the cake he had just decorated, and was sooo proud of. I asked him how long he had been in the business...he said years. My DH whispers to me...Minutes!

It was awful! The sides looked more like a checkerboard, and at one point you could see where he lost his direction and tried to fake it. Nothing was even or consistent. UGHHH! And it had the ugliest un-silk looking flowers on it too!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

lol...b/c I already think that Wilton's guides are stingy icon_smile.gif

I agree, I think Wilton servings are very small. I always make more cake than what the Wilton guides says.

Wal Mart pricing...wow...I guess even brides experiencing hard times in this economy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%