What Would Happen At A Tasting If...

Business By Doug Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm by costumeczar

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 25

(fee charged of course) --

you bought a very small cake from the local grocery store

and then served a piece of it along side a piece of your cake.

Would that kill the "oh but grocery store cake is so much cheaper" lament?

24 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 25

hummm, interesting... what if.... they liked the grocery store cake better? icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif
(sorry, I couldn't resist.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 25

I was thinking the same thing. icon_lol.gif What if they like the grocery store cake better? Some people here have grown up on Publix cakes and that's all they will eat. It's kind of like your mom's cooking. You like what you're used to. icon_biggrin.gif It would definitely be interesting, though!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 25

Buy one from the grossest place and let it sit out for a couple of weeks beforehand...... thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeacakea

I was thinking the same thing. icon_lol.gif What if they like the grocery store cake better? Some people here have grown up on Publix cakes and that's all they will eat. It's kind of like your mom's cooking. You like what you're used to. icon_biggrin.gif It would definitely be interesting, though!

Agree it would be interesting! Maybe do this with a group of friends ... don't tell 'em what's up.

It's a very good point that it could depend on what a person is used to. Put a mix cake and a scratch cake side by side and I'd probably pick the mix cake everytime. (I'm not starting THAT debate! Just pointing out that "what you're used to" is a a factor.)

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 25

I have to agree... i would maybe try it on a couple of friends or family but not a bride...because then you kinda screw yourself if they say they like the store bought one better

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

(fee charged of course) --

you bought a very small cake from the local grocery store

and then served a piece of it along side a piece of your cake.

Would that kill the "oh but grocery store cake is so much cheaper" lament?

Did you try this Doug?

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

I have to agree... i would maybe try it on a couple of friends or family but not a bride...because then you kinda screw yourself if they say they like the store bought one better

Hey wait a minute! We're missing the boat here! If they DO like the store bought cake, then we just buy it at the grocery, take a couple of hours to decorate it and BOOM! Profit, baby, profit!!

(I'm kidding, gang! I'm kidding!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

Hey wait a minute! We're missing the boat here! If they DO like the store bought cake, then we just buy it at the grocery, take a couple of hours to decorate it and BOOM! Profit, baby, profit!!

(I'm kidding, gang! I'm kidding!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Hmmmmmm......cuz their little cakes are always perfectly iced...JUST THE ICING, not the decos.....bastards, I hate them for that. icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 25

Indy - you know what is funny, I did EXACTLY that when I first started doing tastings......and the doctored mix won out EVERY time. (which is why 95% of my cakes are doctored mixes)

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Indy - you know what is funny, I did EXACTLY that when I first started doing tastings......and the doctored mix won out EVERY time. (which is why 95% of my cakes are doctored mixes)

You mean you compared them to a pure scratch or to a grocery store cake? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 25

(PLEASE - not wanting to get the debate going, just my observations here!) Indy - I would do scratch and dr'd mixes - I really didn't know what would be preferred, and that is just what happened. (and I have been a baker for almost 30 years before this) I quit even offereing the scratch, no one ever picked it (this was after about 8 or so tastings)

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 25

So neat how we all have such different results when we do that. My scratch always won out over doctored, box, what have you so I quit offering those. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Did you try this Doug?

not yet -- I asked to get advice about doing it

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 25

_jaime_ that is great that it worked out for you that way! It really is a matter of what folks are used to. My Gramma really only likes my scratch cakes, so I know to make those for her. (and she will make a terrible fuss if she is here and doesn't get that kind of cake - being 92, I let her!) icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 25

Yeah, gramma gets her way, eh? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 25

Yes, she does! She is very active (still drives to church down the road from her house) She does not like cakes from mixes at all - it is because of her that I love to bake/cook - she always let me do whatever I wanted in her kitchen when I was growing up - the only stability in my life was at their farm. I love her dearly.

Now - so who is gonna try the grocery store vs. own at their next tasting?? icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 25

Well, I could show them a picture of the grocery store cake that I saw today. It had been delivered and was waiting inside to be taken out later (it's record heat here today, I was leaving my cakes in the kitchen for a different event and just saw this one sitting there.)

It was iced like a monkey did it, not even any attempt was made to smooth out the icing, the icing was whipped so much there were all kinds of air holes in it, you could see the cake through the icing, the filling was bulging out of it already (wait until they leave it outside for a while), and the roses on it were all made of white chocolate. Guess what's going to happen when those babies are taken outside in 96 degree heat and the humidity that goes with that? It was so bad, I made my daughter come inside and look at it, I needed a witness.

It made me feel better about my own cakes, though! I love to see a competitor's cake so that I can compare and contrast. Looking at styro cakes at wedding shows tells you nothing, but seeing one in real life will give you the real story. If I could have one of THOSE at my tastings I'd book every customer that walked through the door!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 25

Czar, I fully expect you did your civic duty of photographing it for CakeWrecks! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 25

i had a guy bring me in a gob of grocery store icing once....he wanted me to make his icing "like this"

i think my icing is da bomb diggity...i mean i use as much butter as paula deen...and he wants a hunk of fluffy white grease.

taste is SO subjective!

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i had a guy bring me in a gob of grocery store icing once....he wanted me to make his icing "like this"

Had that, too. I did a free cake for my daughter's friend's BD. Gramma comes down with her diagram of what the cake should look like (did I mention this was FREE cake?); the flavors they wanted (did I mention it was FREE?) and at the bottom of her notes was written, in big letters, "NO BUTTERCREAM! WHIPPED CREAM ICING ONLY!"

I pointed to those big words and said, "I dont' DO kroger icing. If you want a kroger cake, it's 2 blocks that way."

(Have I mentioned yet that this was a FREE cake they were getting?) 3 tiers, mind you!)

But that was the day I coined my "I don't DO kroger cakes!" phrase! icon_twisted.gif

BTW, daughter tells me the icing was a BIG hit at the party! icon_rolleyes.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 25

Amusingly, this actually reminds me of the reason why there is a cake sitting on coolikg racks upstairs right now.

All of my life, I have made box mixes, and it is only in the past six months that I have begun to master scratch cakes. Last week, I made a small two-tier cake for a family friend who graduated high school. We had the cake here, and my father has been absolutely RAVING about the cake all week, and wants one "just like" it! Not the two tiers, not the decorating, but the flavor of it. Apparently, I "make a damn fine cake," according to him.

It's just a recipe straight out of betty crocker, too. Plain and simple. Basic two sticks of butter, milk, vanilla, and PS buttercream, too. ...he wants it the color of his Jeep, though, which is a coppery orange color. -.-

It really just depends on the person tasting the cake whether they'll prefer it or not!

costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Czar, I fully expect you did your civic duty of photographing it for CakeWrecks! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I was sneaking around looking at it and trying not to get caught, so I didn't photograph it! My husband asked me the same thing, though. It was reaaalllly bad.

I haven't had anyone bring me grocery store icing yet! I think I'd throw it at them if anyone did that.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 25

I had a MOB ask me recently what our local grocery store used as icing, I think they call it Bettercreme... I held my breath and really expected her to ask me to use that so I was planning my "no" to her in my head. Instead she she said "that stuff is nasty!"
She later went on to tell her daughter that my buttercream was "the bomb!"
icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

I had a MOB ask me recently what our local grocery store used as icing, I think they call it Bettercreme... I held my breath and really expected her to ask me to use that so I was planning my "no" to her in my head. Instead she she said "that stuff is nasty!"
She later went on to tell her daughter that my buttercream was "the bomb!"
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeeahhh baby! thumbs_up.gif It pays to use real butter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%