06.19.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm by FromScratch

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #31 of 93

I'm interested in trying SMBC...care to share (or point me in the right direction) your recipe

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:09am
post #32 of 93

oh and thank you so much my non-sheetcake-makin' pal... I'm pretty partial to it myself.

You'd be proud. I completely swayed someone from their want for a sheet cake. I was NOT looking forward to making a sheetcake so I sketched up a cool cake and she jumped at the chance. Woo Hoo!!! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:13am
post #33 of 93

Hello all!

Right now, I'm taking a break. I finished up 1 four tier 50th anniversary cake. Earlier today I made 6 'books' (1 full sheet cut into various sizes)...had and am still having limp fondant issues on them.

I've got pound cakes thawing to carve a 3D Ramses (UNC mascot) to go with the stacks of books for a graduation cake. I think the whole town is turning out for this boy's graduation party...either that, or they've got one bigass family!

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #34 of 93

Can anyone join into the Friday cake club? I'd love to do this with ya'll. I don't bake every Friday (tonight being one of them). I made my cake yesterday for out final night of VBS.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:17am
post #35 of 93

Well, I give up! it is still very condesation-y so hopefully tomorrow it won't be too crusty to work with...there aren't really going to be a whole lot of uncovered surfaces anyhow, LOL, this is going to be one busy cake icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:19am
post #36 of 93

Dang Leahs....that's crazy! In my parts, if you walk 20 yards into the desert in August, you are already overheating and in danger of imminent death!

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:22am
post #37 of 93

Can I join in this conversation.... I am stressing!!! Have a four tier wedding cake due tomorrow.. and its not turning out at all... I want to throw the whole thing out and start all over again... but I dont have the time. The 2 middle tiers are supposed to be topsy turvy.. never done it before... but watched more videos and read more tutorials than you can shake a stick at... my eyeballs hurt from learning about them... it looked so easy... but its really not..
my topsy turvy tiers look like 2 beluga whales going at it... urg.. there is so much bulging... this whole cake is a disaster... poor bride is going to look at it and puke.

came to CC to take a break and get some inspiration.

any tips would be great...?!?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #38 of 93

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-0-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

This is my recipe... icon_smile.gif

You can also find tips and ideas for flavorings in this thread that I started. It has pictures of the process of making it as well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605-smbc.html

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:42am
post #39 of 93

No cake for me tonight,the old "why do today when you can put it off until tommorow routine,well actually I had to work anyway Leahs,it was a scorcher in our neck of the woods today!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:01am
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

oh and thank you so much my non-sheetcake-makin' pal... I'm pretty partial to it myself.

You'd be proud. I completely swayed someone from their want for a sheet cake. I was NOT looking forward to making a sheetcake so I sketched up a cool cake and she jumped at the chance. Woo Hoo!!! icon_biggrin.gif

party.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gifparty.gif Yeah! Now that's a caker!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:03am
post #41 of 93

Of course....this not an exclusive group. I wasn't ever invited, so I guess I'm a crasher?? Bwahahaha...no invite necessary...jump right in!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:12am
post #42 of 93

I am about ready to sit down and make a billon flowers for a wedding cke due in three weeks. I leave for vaca on monday for 2 weeks and have two cakes due when I get back, so it's now or never.

I have to say there is nothing better than to have the kids in bed, DH at work, the 80's on XM radio playing in the back ground a piping bag in hand.

It's true, it's finally happened, I am a cake dork...but I love it!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:22am
post #43 of 93

i dont usually pull late nighters but i did tonight, haven't had a chance to get on CC all day so even though im finished now and its 1.16am i couldn;t go to bed without popping on, so im jjoining in the late night club. I tell ya, i think all sculpted cakes should have an extra one or 2 zeros put on them, all day since noon ive been working on a grooms cake which is a copy of his fav, running shoes. i carved them yesterday and coated with ganache and today i covered them with fondant and added all the detail. i did get a 2 hr break when i had to pick up DH from the airport but other then that i ve worked on them about 16hrs. one of my ankles and lower legs is so swollen it looks like a tree stump, anyone else suffer from swollen ankles working all day? well better get to bed, hope everyone else is done by now, goodnight.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:25am
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchas

I have to say there is nothing better than to have the kids in bed, DH at work, the 80's on XM radio playing in the back ground a piping bag in hand.

It's true, it's finally happened, I am a cake dork...but I love it!

Hahaha, I think we're all cake dorks. I was at the library yesterday (checking out Colette Peter's cake book, go figure) and saw that they now have CDs to check out. I saw White Stripes new album "Icky Thump" and the first thought I had was, "This would be great caking music" lol. Thats when you know you're a cake dork.

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:35am
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Quote:

I saw White Stripes new album "Icky Thump" and the first thought I had was, "This would be great caking music"

LOL, I love it!

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:48am
post #46 of 93

My favorite line of the night .... like 2 beluga whales going at it. OH the visual!!!! icon_redface.gif

I don't have any tips for you but just know that I am sending good vibes your way!!

Way to go everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

mrsmontgomery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmontgomery Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:07am
post #47 of 93

I am also doing a tt for a first birthday. (my first)The "client" printed a picture off the internet and had insanely intricate directions scrawled across the page detailing what she wanted changed,the same but diff colors,etc. and im about to throw this thing out the door along with all of my stuff! The cake is two tiers w fushia and chocolate brown buttercream with the same color fondant decorations. I had to use so much fc to get this fushia color that my icing wont crust.its all goopy! My fondant diamonds are slowly sliding down the side of my cake as I type. I am an idiot and instead of making chocolate buttercream in the beginning I just added about 2 jars of brown fc to my ivory buttercream and couldnt understand why it wasnt chocolaty brown so I added a little instant coffee.voila! dark brown with a heavenly aroma. I had the top tier crumb coated and had just started icing when a friend of the client stopped by and after hearing of the coffee debacle, told me I was probably gonna have an unhappy little girl who wouldn't want coffee flavored icing. I had no choice but to scrape everything off and start from scratch. my 10 year old came down before she went to bed and looked at the cake kinda funny and said, is it supposed to look like this? (She is a huge fan of the tt cakes and has become quite the expert on how they are supposed to look lol)Any suggestions? My eyes are burning from the 4 hours of sleep I got last night and I havent even started icing the 3 tier wedding cake due at noon tomorrow. Sorry for the book. Just trying to keep myself awake and free from the impending tears. lol.

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:38am
post #48 of 93

I just finished two cakes for tomorrow. One was for my husband's birthday and is a Nebraska Cornhusker football helmet. The other is an aquarium for my nephew's birthday. My 10 year old sister helped decorate that one until she got sleepy and abandoned me at one. I am finished and got the kitchen cleaned up though.

sayhellojana Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:45am
post #49 of 93

mrs - I was having the same issue getting my fondant brown tonight. I added a little bit of cocoa powder and that really helped. What little girl doesn't like chocolate icing?

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:00am
post #50 of 93

so this is what i got so far.... i still have some scroll work to do on the white tiers and a blue trim on the bottom tier... I absolutely HATE this cake. I think it looks horrible and not my best work thats for sure.. just look at the white piping... urg.. I should redo that.
If anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this cake look better, I am open to ideas...

anyway, going to bed for a few hours... need to sleep off some of my frustration... however I wish the stupid cake would miraculously be finished and look like it just came out of a magazine.
LL

VlyIndian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VlyIndian Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:08am
post #51 of 93

try removing the piping and adding fondant that has been twisted to look like rope. That may bring things together better.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:22am
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TantalizingTreats

so this is what i got so far.... i still have some scroll work to do on the white tiers and a blue trim on the bottom tier... I absolutely HATE this cake. I think it looks horrible and not my best work thats for sure.. just look at the white piping... urg.. I should redo that.
If anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this cake look better, I am open to ideas...

anyway, going to bed for a few hours... need to sleep off some of my frustration... however I wish the stupid cake would miraculously be finished and look like it just came out of a magazine.

Dont beat yourself up over this , it looks great really. You might just wanna do what u said and re- do that border.

Im making my daddy his fathers day cake, I had baked it yesterday infact , a loaf cake Im making my dad a bed cake (he suffers from depression so he spends most of his time in bed reading) but my sister decides to bring some xtra peeps to our Sunday BBQ so definately wont be enough cake so I have another cake in the oven !!!!!blah!!!!!

Almost done though.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:22am
post #53 of 93

Just finished my least fav cake ever, and now am unable to post it for some reason. Apparently, even the CC uploading server knows it's bad!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:25am
post #54 of 93

It's 4:23 am and I am so sick and can't sleep. If I wasn't sick I would be caking, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyMaggs

Hi Leah,

Just 15 minutes ago finished a 4 tiered square, twisted wedding cake and a Louisiana coonass cake as the grooms cake. 2 big ones and god am I ready for bed.....lol

Polly

I'm sorry, but your post forced me to make a double-take .... did you say you made a coon a$$ cake as a grooms cake?? icon_confused.gif lol just kidding. icon_wink.gif What is a coonass?

sayhellojana Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:34am
post #55 of 93

Tantalizing - the cake doesn't look bad, don't beat yourself up! The only thing that really stands out to me is the size of the bottom 2 tiers. They look the same. Maybe if the 3rd teir was carved inward a little bit, I think that would make a huge difference.

candoo Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:40am
post #56 of 93

Finally got my BAD cake uploaded. I started not to even post it! lol!

gscout73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:43am
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by candoo

Finally got my BAD cake uploaded. I started not to even post it! lol!

Forgive me, but which one is the BAD cake?? icon_lol.gif

candoo Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:52am
post #58 of 93

I just uploaded it- not sure if it's showing up yet. It's the hugs n stitches cake. I just really!!! don't like it!

gscout73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:04am
post #59 of 93

I can't believe you posted it in the disaster gallery. It is so cute!!! I love it. It is so adorable. You did a great job, and I am not just saying that. You may be critical of it because of how much fun you had making it (kidding). It'll be fine. .. don't worrry.

.. and it does not deserve to be in the disaster gallery..... icon_lol.gif

candoo Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:13am
post #60 of 93

Thnak you so much! I needed that right about now. I still have a father's day cake to do, plus have to deliver the father's day cake and the last 3 cakes that I posted tomorrow. Also have a birthday party and family reunion. And did I mention that I haven't been to bed??!!? So your kind words may give me the inspirationto get up and get started on the next cake. Don't think I'll make it to bed though! Glad I'm used to working nights and staying up all day w/no sleep!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%