Anything Good About Wilton?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 6:42am by Annabakescakes

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 84

i've seen many, many posts on here about how awful wilton's "this and that" is/are which leaves me to wonder, is there ANYTHING good about the wilton brand products? i'm a complete newbie and was considering buying the wilton round pan set becaues i have a 50% off coupon and i obviously don't plan to keep them forever, but i'm worried because it seems like no one ever has anything good to say about the brand. so would you advise me against it?

83 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 84

I've got the Wilton 3" deep round pan set and it's great. I just use pam spray and my cakes come out fine. I've got a 10" magic line pan and sometimes I will bake a layer in it and one in my Wilton pan at the same time and they really come out the same.

Everyone likes to complain about Wilton, but if you could peek in everyone's decorating cupboards, you'd find some Wilton there. It's what most of us start with because it's so easy to find.

The Wilton things that I have and like are the white plastic rolling pins, pans, green plastic flower cutters, metal fondant cutters, tips, disposable bags, flower nails, large and small levelers, plastic turntable, pink square pad for fondant, white ball tool, gumpaste tool set.

The Wilton things that have been a total waste of money were the roll and cut mat, fondant punch set, 5 petal cutter (get Jem brand for those), ribbon cutter.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 84

I have tons of Wilton stuff, which is what I can find around here. Happy with everything!

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #4 of 84

Round pans, tips, piping bags, the gumpaste flower kit (basic cutters, tools, foam pads and instruction book).
Waste money: The icing comb with the interchangable teeth (they slip right out), square pans. When I bake two layers, one in wilton squares and one in fat daddios, the wilton ones take at least 10 minutes longer, and thats with a flower nail(wilton) in the center. I think if I get paisley or petal shaped pans i'll skip right to fat daddios.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 84

I've always used Wilton's recipe for buttercream. A quadruple batch fits perfectly in my 5 qt. KA and it works out that a single batch is enough for a 1/4 sheet, a double batch for a half sheet, etc. And my customers all LOVE it.

I've also always used the Wilton chart for cake servings and pan sizes and volume. It's very helpful and very accurate.

I bet we all use more Wilton stuff than we realize and perhaps more than we care to admit!! icon_rolleyes.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 84

Wilton products also offer people just getting into decorating an affordable way to begin.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:10am
post #7 of 84

it is really sad to read on here.. all the time.. people bad mouthing wilton.. i have lots of stuff.. besides wilton.. but i still love what i use in wilton.. i wouldn,t be where i am today. if i had not taken the wilton classes 13 years. ago. it scared me to death. and here i am. still decorating cakes..

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #8 of 84

I have the Wilton 2" round and square pan sets and I really like them and have had no problem with them. Now I know the square pans have rounded corners but since I bake just as a hobby, I don't have a problem with that. I like their featherweight bags and tips. I like both of their fondant rolling pins and like how they work. I have various fondant cutters and for me they work fine. I have their fondant tools and can't complain about those either. The only things I ever bought from Wilton that I did not like was the tilting turntable (do not waste your money) and the small cake leveler (the wire was not tight enough for a straight cut). All in all, I don't really have any complaints about their products; besides, they are easy to purchase since Joanne's, Michael's and Walmart are all very conveniently located where I live (Chicago suburbs). I was just at the Wilton Tent Sale so I am pretty well stocked up on everything! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #9 of 84

I think it's a sign of how much you've grown as a decorator when you realize that Wilton is just "entry level" product. And not necessarily "junk" ...... they are not really designed for professional use, so for what they are designed for, they work very well.

And it is entry level stuff ... they market to the average housewife who wants to make her kids' birthday cakes.

Some of us take it to the next level. And as we progress in our craft, and discover there's a whole new world of cake products out there (like Satin Ice or Chocopan instead of Wilton brand fondant!), then we begin to realize just how "non-professional" the wilton products are.

There is even a quality difference in something as simple as a white cardboard box to carry a cake in. Wilton's is practically paper thin!

As we begin to invest in ourselves and in our business, we begin to invest in higher quality products ... because we are becoming professionals and we want and need a higher quality, more professional product to work with.

Yeah, I have some wilton stuff in my cabinet .... but 95% of any new purchases are non-wilton items, simply because I've just grown out of them and I'm now playing with big girl toys! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #10 of 84

As a matter of fact, I am taking a break right now from icing a cake because the dang thing keeps sliding around on my Fat Daddio turntable. Where the heck is my non skid mat, and WHY do I have to use one???? Arrggh!

So, I am digging out my little ole Wilton turntable in a minute, because I know it will work just right for this little cake.

I use their piping bags sometimes, I love the rolling pins, I still use the round pans, but will shout from the rooftops about MAGIC LINE for square pans...let's see....ummmm, I have a couple of spatulas from them, I faithfully buy a huge box of fondant every Sunday with either the Joan's or Michael's coupon for dummy covering (not for eating)....I think that's it.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #11 of 84

I have noticed a few people on the last few FN challenges that the professionals were using the new Wilton tool set for F&GP.

Ever since then I've looked a lot closer at their tool and see a huge amount of Wilton in their kitchens.

I have to laugh when I do because if Wilton sucks so badly why are some of these top challengers who everyone raves about here using them??

I had my kitchen stocked with Wilton long before I became an instructor and I was a professional. If what I bought didn't work for me then I'd try another brand and some times the other brand was better and some times it sucked as badly as Wilton's.

Every brand out there has a pro and con to it.

If you are happy starting out with buying Wilton then go for it. I have many of their pans and have for over 10 years and they still bake as great as when I got them. Their tips are no different.

Some of their cutters and press sets leave a lot to be desired but they can't hit the perfect mark on everything and please everyone all the time.

snshin1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snshin1993 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:13am
post #12 of 84

I have alot of wilton products some good and some bad but it is readily available and it's hard to find other brands unless you are willing to purchase online. I do use a different fondant and I love it (it even tasts good!) I guess it's just what you can find. Wilton fondant is good for making extras for your cake because it drys so hard and no one eats the flowers anyway.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:17am
post #13 of 84

Well...I haven't noticed any significant difference between Wilton couplers and tips and Ateco, and my spatulas are all Wilton brand, and I've had no problems with them. I have Wilton's Decorator Preferred pans, and they are quite comparable to the Fat Diddio pans I also have in terms of quality of metal, thickness of metal, precision of build, and baking times. I also actually PREFER my Wilton #7 nail to my non-Wilton nail because the Wilton one has the top of the 7 right where I need it for building the cones for my roses. The big plastic rolling pin works great, and the tip case, tip brushes, and dishwasher bag for tips and couplers are perfect, too.

Oh, and when I need frosting in red or black for accents, I just grab a tube of the Wilton stuff, because it tastes way better than the stuff from the supermarket. Sometimes I have to thin it with a little milk, but that's not unexpected, since it's marketed as stiff consistency.

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #14 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

it is really sad to read on here.. all the time.. people bad mouthing wilton.. i have lots of stuff.. besides wilton.. but i still love what i use in wilton.. i wouldn,t be where i am today. if i had not taken the wilton classes 13 years. ago. it scared me to death. and here i am. still decorating cakes..

I completely agree with you. I have been thinking this for a while. I got started with wilton products as many of us have, and even though there may be better products out there I still have respect for where I started. I get a little sick of all the bad-mouthing all the time. A cake made with wilton product is not less worthy than one made with a higher end product in my opinion.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #15 of 84

I'm with Indy. I'm constantly transitioning to more pro level products. I do have Wilton and Ateco spatulas and don't see a difference. My experience with the Wilton pans is that they are simply inferior to Magic Line. I like the W ribbon cutter, but I must be the only one. Whoever designed that decorating comb with the interchangeable teeth should be slapped.

For entry level stuff it's OK.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:09am
post #16 of 84

I prefer Wilton tips to Ateco - you can't leave Ateco tips to soak for any length of time, but Wilton tips don't rust. With my health issues, sometimes the tips just don't get washed ASAP...

I haven't had a lot of Wilton stuff I think is totally useless. I have some stuff that I think wouldn't work if I used it more often (i.e. it's not up to pro standards for heavy use), but there's lots that just keeps going and going.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:53am
post #17 of 84

I am a big fan of wilton products.I agree with what debi said.I learned every thing with wilton products and then jumped to other stuff. I still use all my wilton products and love them. The best thing about them is you get to use your coupons and get 40% and 50% off and play with new toy for a while ,with out breaking your bank.
Since Michaels started sending coupons on line ,I have bought tons of stuff ,like their gum paste ,fondant to cover dummies ,their new mats are fantastic .

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #18 of 84

If the food tv shows have alot of Wilton it means, I am sure, that they are sponsored by Wilton.

I like Wilton tips. I like PME better, but Wilton are more affordable. Certain of the colors are okay, too. I think their Burgundy color makes a lovely pink, for example.

Agree with the poster who wrote about that interchangeable icing comb, but they should be shot, not slapped.

varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:19am
post #19 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Agree with the poster who wrote about that interchangeable icing comb, but they should be shot, not slapped.

Not even slapped WITH the comb? icon_biggrin.gif

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:34am
post #20 of 84

Almost all of my stuff is Wilton...that should tell you I'm a newbie. However I have been starting to upgrade a little here and there to better quality products.
Although I agree with the other posts, there is something to be said for a 50% off coupon, for a newbie like me, to use to purchase thier first set of pans or stocked tool caddy. You can always upgrade later.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:38am
post #21 of 84

There are a lot of professionals who still use Wilton. Honestly, not all Wilton products easily wears off. There are a lot of Wilton products that perform well and last very long. Here are some of the things I think are great products.

metal spatulas
green plastic turn table
small rolling pin
tips
pink foam pad

There are more, I just can't think right now. So many things in my head.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:39am
post #22 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Not even slapped WITH the comb? icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmmmm... maybe the comb (and all its interchangeable parts) shoved up somewhere sideways.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:51am
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I have Wilton's Decorator Preferred pans, and they are quite comparable to the Fat Diddio pans I also have in terms of quality of metal, thickness of metal, precision of build, and baking times.

I've always noticed that when I use my heavy-duty stainless steel pans (don't know brand right now... c/b Wilton if the Preferred ones you speak of are ss) everything works wonderfully, but if I have to occasionally use a few of my Wilton aluminum set (that I inherited) the cakes begin to smell like they're going to burn reminding me that it's time to take them out sooner than the ss pans or else they'll begin to slightly burn on the bottom and sides (and taste burnt too!) I know... cheaper/thinner metal... it's going to bake faster and I should bake for longer at less temp, but I just throw them in while the ss pans are baking too, and I always wish I wouldn't have grabbed one of those pans that aren't my favorite. Why don't I throw them away or give them away? (The next time a "friend" asks to borrow my wedding cake pans instead of having me make the cake, I'll let them keep 'em! Can you believe the nerve? They shouldn't be making wedding cakes if they've never had a wedding cake size pan!)

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:57am
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianChick

I prefer Wilton tips to Ateco - you can't leave Ateco tips to soak for any length of time, but Wilton tips don't rust.

There was a thread about tips a little earlier... General: How often do you replace bad looking icing tips?

I wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Stainless steel doesn't rust, but it can oxidize or pit. Ateco's site says they are ss and Wilton's site says metal (I always thought ss but hubby thinks aluminum.) SS doesn't need nickel plating, because it's the nickel content in the metal that makes it stainless steel.

It doesn't hurt to soak your ss tips in water..." (plus more)

If you haven't followed that thread, I posted suggestions and tips on cleaning your ss products, if you're so inclined to clean!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:00am
post #25 of 84

When I first started decorating I bought all Wilton products...main reason...easy to find. Now I do more purchasing online and find that other companies products are more durable and also there is a wider range of gadgets to choose from with other brands. I must say though...my 2 year old devours my Wilton fondant that I use on dummy cakes...but I have caught her trying to eat the fish food too so that probably doesn't count for much LOL

varika Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I've always noticed that when I use my heavy-duty stainless steel pans (don't know brand right now... c/b Wilton if the Preferred ones you speak of are ss) everything works wonderfully, but if I have to occasionally use a few of my Wilton aluminum set (that I inherited) the cakes begin to smell like they're going to burn reminding me that it's time to take them out sooner than the ss pans or else they'll begin to slightly burn on the bottom and sides (and taste burnt too!) I know... cheaper/thinner metal... it's going to bake faster and I should bake for longer at less temp, but I just throw them in while the ss pans are baking too, and I always wish I wouldn't have grabbed one of those pans that aren't my favorite. Why don't I throw them away or give them away? (The next time a "friend" asks to borrow my wedding cake pans instead of having me make the cake, I'll let them keep 'em! Can you believe the nerve? They shouldn't be making wedding cakes if they've never had a wedding cake size pan!)

I'm pretty sure the Decorator Preferred are stainless. They never rust, even when I leave them soaking for a while, and they seem to have all the same properties of the Fat Diddios. Except for being larger and different shapes, of course, since my Fat Didiios are 6" and 4" rounds! icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's a sign of how much you've grown as a decorator when you realize that Wilton is just "entry level" product. And not necessarily "junk" ...... they are not really designed for professional use, so for what they are designed for, they work very well.

Absolutly. Well said.

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

...my 2 year old devours my Wilton fondant that I use on dummy cakes...but I have caught her trying to eat the fish food too so that probably doesn't count for much LOL

LOL!!!! Luv'd this story! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #29 of 84

I love Wilton products! It's the best and most economical way to get started and continue with cake decorating. It seems to me that sometimes the cake decorators that have been decorating a long time look down on Wilton products because amateur and home bakers use them. Its like some are too good to use silly old Wilton products or something. Well not me...Ive been decorating for 5 years and will continue to use Wilton!

indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #30 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by candice1988

It seems to me that sometimes the cake decorators that have been decorating a long time look down on Wilton products because amateur and home bakers use them. Its like some are too good to use silly old Wilton products or something. Well not me...Ive been decorating for 5 years and will continue to use Wilton!

No, we long time decorators do not look down on wilton products because amateur and home bakers use them. It's because, as we become more experienced and move into bigger and better things, we discover tools that are better suited to the job.

We are not "too good" to use Wilton .... we've just grown in our craft and found better tools and equipment.

And in your attempt to make some of us look snooty and making it sound like we look down our nose at wilton users, I think you're the one who ended up looking down your nose and sounding snooty at those who have chosen to seek out and find alternative tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%