How Do You Keep This From Falling Off?

Decorating By jillmakescakes Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 4:33am by HamSquad

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so how do you set up this cake to secure the top tier so that it doesn't fall off?
LL

8 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure if there is a specific way to support it other than with some buttercream or royal beneath the cake board.Of course making sure each layer is level before i move on to the next. That includes making sure the cake table is level too. I'm curious too. i know one thing for certain, there is no way in heck i would deliver that full assembled. Sorry i'm not much help.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 9

The top tier on that cake is on it's own decorative board/cake drum that sits on a small cake stand (or large candle stand). I'd use carpet tape to secure it.

In the tier under the stand, there's some form of support--4 or 5 dowels, 2 or 3 large plastic dowels, etc.

You'd take the smaller cake separately and assemble the top tier at the venue.

HTH
Rae

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

any other ideas?

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

The top tier on that cake is on it's own decorative board/cake drum that sits on a small cake stand (or large candle stand). I'd use carpet tape to secure it.

In the tier under the stand, there's some form of support--4 or 5 dowels, 2 or 3 large plastic dowels, etc.

You'd take the smaller cake separately and assemble the top tier at the venue.

I agree with what BlakesCakes said.
The top cakes form board is secured to the stand. Then, the tier under it will have a couple dowels or straws to support a small plate for the stand to rest on (I would secure both ends with double sided tape, or at least some royal icing)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 9

That is a gorgous cake!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 9

Make sre the supports that are in the 4th tier are put in the right places to balance the weight of the stand and top tier and still be invisible underneath it. Make sure the supports are long enough and rest completely on the cake board of the 4th tier so that the decorative cake stand does not sink into the top of that 4th tier. You are going to do an outstanding job- your cakes are so clean and pretty. I can't wait to see it finished.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 9

Even with all that it looks scary to me. I don't know what that is on top. Could it be hollow and have a dowel inside it?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #9 of 9

Possibly for the top tier you may want to use Coast or SPS tier systems to put the cake on. I've tried something slightly similar. I 've used the coast systems. Order the legs the height of the cake for the 4th tier. The 4th cake, lets say is 4", use 4" legs. Next, add a plate that is 2" smaller than the fourth tier. Push the assembled legs and plate in the 4th tier. Place the item to hold the the top cake on the plate, then add the top tier. No cutting of straws or those yucky dowel rods.
Here is a picture of a cake I did using this method.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1247911.html
HTH
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%