How Often Do You Replace Bad Looking Icing Tips?

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 1:04am by 3GCakes

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 19

icon_surprised.gif I was going thru my icing tips yesterday...man, some of them look AWFUL! They are not rusted or that bad...just very dull and not shiny and pretty anymore. I just wondered if I need to replace them...I have been using them about 3 years now....they just are not pretty anymore. icon_lol.gif
I need new bags too...some of them are beyond help. I finally tried the 'plastic wrap plug' method.....OMG! It's the bomb! NO More greasy nasty bags for me! thumbs_up.gif

How about you? How long?

18 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 19

only when they die -- as in so bent out of shape they don't work (or create the most "unusual" designs) or are rusted (not likely since stainless steel)

gosh, if I used the "replace it when dull/dirty looking" rule for most things, I'd be buying a new house, car, etc. every week!

if it works -- keep it.

pretty is for the cake

percussiongrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
percussiongrrl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 19

I still use tips that my grandmother used when she decorated cakes before I was born. They still serve the purpose and I'm careful with them so they don't get bent, so I see no need to go spend money on new ones.

Out of curiosity...what is the plastic wrap plug trick? My instructor from my class a couple years ago told us to only use the plastic disposable bags because the others are so hard to clean. I hate doing that, but I do agree that the bags are hard to clean!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 19

A little off topic here - but has anyone has tips rust on them?? I have a bunch of Wilton ones, and a few Ateco...one of my fairly new Ateco ones RUSTED on the inside! I was so bummed! I just bought the thing about a month or so ago - it has never happened to any of my others...Any thoughts as to why?
I had let it air dry (as I do all my tips) and when I went to use it, it was rusty... icon_sad.gif

Other than that - I keep them until they are bent and useless. (Or until hubby accidently puts one down the disposal...grrrr....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #5 of 19

Wilton tips are nickle plated and should not rust. If they have really rusted, I would contact Wilton.

Are you sure it is actually rust and not just discolored? Is there a rusty powder that rubs off or comes off on your icing?

Leaving your tips soaking in water can discolor them as well as some of the dish washing detergents.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Wilton tips are nickle plated and should not rust. If they have really rusted, I would contact Wilton.

Are you sure it is actually rust and not just discolored? Is there a rusty powder that rubs off or comes off on your icing?

Leaving your tips soaking in water can discolor them as well as some of the dish washing detergents.

Actually it wads one of my Ateco ones - do you know if they are nickel-plated also? I know my Wilton ones are all still in great shape...
Good to know though about the dish soaps...I usually handwash them anyhow, but will def. refrain from soaking them...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 19

I'd contact Ateco. I'm not sure, but I would think they would also be coated so they wouldn't rust. If it is a new tip and it doesn't really rust I'd definitely contact the company and let them know. You make get another tip from them, or they may have a solution to keep it from happening.

Wilton also suggests that you don't use vinegar on their tips as it can break down the finish.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 19

I wouldn't throw your tips away unless the garbage disposer chewed it up too badly to repair. Wilton makes that old plastic Tip Saver you can use to straighten them out, but I just use a pointed dowel or a rose nail if I need something stronger.

Stainless steel doesn't rust, but it can oxidize or pit. Ateco's site says they are ss and Wilton's site says metal (I always thought ss but hubby thinks aluminum.) SS doesn't need nickel plating, because it's the nickel content in the metal that makes it stainless steel.

It doesn't hurt to soak your ss tips in water. I have two stainless steel cars that I can drive in the rain, and they don't rust! The only thing that I'm aware of that can harm the ss finish is bologna and blood.

It's recommended that you only add salt to your ss pots after the water boils because it can cause pitting, but I can still drive on salt covered roads in the winter and guess what? No pitting!

The only time I've ever ruined a stainless steel bowl was when I left a bunch of dried fruit in it for too long while it was enclosed in a zip-lock bag and the bowl pitted.

You're probably not seeing rust on your tips if they are ss, it's just a little oxidation and it won't hurt anything. You might try soaking them in lemon juice to see if they'll sparkle again, if you're up for an experiment. SS cleaners are citrus based, so watch out if you soak them outdoors because it will attract bees!!!! Ha!

You could also try cleaning them with whatever you'd use for cleaning your ss kitchen sink, your ss refrigerator, or your ss tables, but I wouldn't recommend Windex-type glass cleaners... save that for your equipment.

TIP FOR CLEANING SS EQUIPMENT OR APPLIANCES (or ss cars!):
I buy ss polish by the case! It's wonderful for making flaws and waterspots disappear! It gives it a darker finish or deeper shine, but it will show fingerprints more easily and attract more dust. Windex is great if you want a bright shine like when it was brand new!

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:17am
post #9 of 19

I've only replaced them after they've gone for a whirl down the garbage disposal (and the offender heard the noise yet didn't stop the disposal, and of course didn't dare to tell me what happened icon_confused.gif )

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 19

Fat Daddios has SS and Wilton has Nickel-Plated aluminum.. Which one should I buy? Which is better?

Thank you

Unlimited Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpz

...Wilton has Nickel-Plated aluminum..

Did you find that on their website? (I've never been able to find the answer, and some believe it's nickel-plated copper.) In the thread you started in the "How Do I" forum, I wrote "could be nickel-plated aluminum" so I hope you're not quoting me because I cannot verify that.

I prefer stainless steel, but as long as you aren't buying plastic tips that won't last long, any metal tip is going to perform the task the same way as another.

Perpz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:

...Wilton has Nickel-Plated aluminum..

In the thread you started in the "How Do I" forum, I wrote "could be nickel-plated aluminum" so I hope you're not quoting me because I cannot verify that.

I prefer stainless steel, but as long as you aren't buying plastic tips that won't last long, any metal tip is going to perform the task the same way as another.

I'm sorry, Wilton actually has Nickel-Plated Brass. "Wilton tips are made of non-rusting, nickel-plated brass"-From the wilton website itself.
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/decorating-basics/decorating_tips.cfm

thank you!

Unlimited Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:36pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:

I'm sorry, Wilton actually has Nickel-Plated Brass. "Wilton tips are made of non-rusting, nickel-plated brass"-From the wilton website itself.
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/decorating-basics/decorating_tips.cfm

thank you!

Thanks for finding and posting that!

Perpz Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 19

You are very Welcome. Thanks as well! icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

A little off topic here - but has anyone has tips rust on them?? I have a bunch of Wilton ones, and a few Ateco...one of my fairly new Ateco ones RUSTED on the inside! I was so bummed! I just bought the thing about a month or so ago - it has never happened to any of my others...Any thoughts as to why?
I had let it air dry (as I do all my tips) and when I went to use it, it was rusty... icon_sad.gif

Other than that - I keep them until they are bent and useless. (Or until hubby accidently puts one down the disposal...grrrr....

I've stopped buying Ateco because they kept rusting on me. They're cheaper to buy, but it's no saving if you have to keep replacing them. I find Wilton tips don't rust like Ateco do.

I'm always careful about drying tips thoroughly before storing...after they've been washed and dried, I sit them on the cup-warmer area on my espresso machine, which dries out the last traces of moisture really well.

I only throw tips out if they've started to rust, or if they got damaged somehow and not longer do what they should.

As for the piping bags, personally I prefer disposable - there's something about the reusable ones that just eeks me - like you can never get them 100% clean, no matter how well you wash them. (Plus one of my local bakeries caused a salmonella outbreak which was traced back to their reusable piping bags, which turned me off them a bit too.)

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:26pm
post #16 of 19

I always put my piping bags in the dishwasher. I rinse out the excess icing and then turn them inside-out and lay then down on the top rack. I may put the edge of a glass on top of it to keep them from flying away during the wash. Once they are done washing all I have to do is try them off with a towel. It's more stress-free than washing them by hand and it's not as wasteful as using the plastic bags. I still wouldn't mind knowing what the "plastic wrap plug" method is though!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

[quote="EmilysCakes"]I always put my piping bags in the dishwasher. I rinse out the excess icing and then turn them inside-out and lay then down on the top rack. I may put the edge of a glass on top of it to keep them from flying away during the wash. Once they are done washing all I have to do is try them off with a towel. It's more stress-free than washing them by hand and it's not as wasteful as using the plastic bags. I still wouldn't mind knowing what the "plastic wrap plug" method is though!

Great tutorial on that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxE-pnqmsE0&feature=player_embedded#!

EmilysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilysCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 12:41am
post #18 of 19

Thank you, Coral. I will have to give that a try sometime!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #19 of 19

I threw out all the Ateco because they were rusting and didn't fit in my couplers.

My Wilton ones get replaced if they whirl one too many time in the disposal...and I can tell because what was once a "21" tip comes out as a "12". Time to go. Good thing my disposal is tougher than my tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%