Oh And Indydebi Bc Vs. Wilton

Decorating By woodruffbn Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm by woodruffbn

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have heard SOOO much aout indydebi's BC, so I picked up the stuff to try it. I am wondering how it tastes compared to Wilton's. I have only used Wilton's and actually kinda liked the taste of it.

I should have added this into the other post I just made, but i forgot. Sorry.

11 replies
mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 12

Well, the taste can be anything you WANT it to be depending on what flavoring you put in it. The real treasure in Indydebi's recipe is the recipe itself. The ratio of fat to sugar makes it an excellent crusting buttercream. The addition of Dream Whip seems to help stabilize it when whipped on high for a while. It is shelf stable for days on end. It is all around a wonderful recipe and beats the pants off the Wilton recipe. But again, the taste can be anything you want it to be.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

I prefer Indydebi's to Wilton. To me, hers is easier to make and I liked the flavor better

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 12

I have to agree - I LOVE Indydebi's, and it's the only recipe I use any more. I add all kinds of different flavorings to it, and throw random stuff in, and it's always perfect. And everywhere I go, everyone wants to know what my recipe is.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 12

Indydebi's buttercream is wonderful. It doesn't melt off of the sides of the cake in the heat the way Wilton's recipe does. It crusts well enough that you can smooth it easily. Even though it's all-crisco, it doesn't leave your mouth feeling greasy. It's not even hard to wash off of the bowl or bags.

I sound like a commercial...but it really is that good. Try it icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 12

i had a really quick question about indydebi's recipe as well. i've been hearing a lot of people concerned about the fact that crisco is now trans fat free and they've been changing what their using. so, for this recipe, do you need to change to a shortneing that has trans fat or will crisco still work okay?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

i had a really quick question about indydebi's recipe as well. i've been hearing a lot of people concerned about the fact that crisco is now trans fat free and they've been changing what their using. so, for this recipe, do you need to change to a shortneing that has trans fat or will crisco still work okay?

I've used Crisco and generic Walmart shortening and they both seem to work equally well. I'm mostly using it for a crumbcoat underneath fondant, or to pipe a big swirl on a cupcake. If you're doing more intricate things with it, the trans fats might make more of a difference.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #8 of 12

I've read where Indydebi has said that she continues to use plain old Crisco and never noticed a change with the "new" Crisco. I use the WalMart vegetable shortening, which does still have transfat in it.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 12

To me, nothing beats the taste of real butter!!

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 12

Love, love, love it! I think the dream whip adds back in the trans fat....what ever it is, it's wonderful. I use it for everthing and I live in Oklahoma, the humidity is horrible...but it holds up and tastes fabulous!

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:27am
post #11 of 12

Seems like I have to add more than a 1/2 cup of millk though. Its SUPER stiff with 1/3 cup. Anyone else have to do this?

What I love about this recipe, is how I dont have to measure the sugar, just throw the whole bag in. LOVE IT!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try my first batch in a little bit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%