Substituting Soy Milk In Any Recipe - Alter Taste?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm by chanielisalevy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a "dairy free" dessert. I don't have any experience with baking with soy milk. So I have a few questions:

1. Will it alter the taste too much?
2. Is the conversion the same (i.e. 1 cup regular milk=1 cup of soy milk)?
3. Do you have a better substitute recommendation?
4. Any dairy free recipes you'd like to share?

TIA!

7 replies
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

firelegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firelegs Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 8

I've wondered this myself. I have cooked with soy milk before, and it doesn't have the same consistency as milk. It has a lower boiling temperature. As far as taste - I prefer soy milk to the real stuff, its not going to alter the taste if you get the plain stuff (no vanilla flavoring or anything like that). I don't know what the conversion is for real milk substitution. You can easily bake a dairy free cake - I've seen vegan cake recipes posted here and I've heard they're good, so you might want to check that out.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 8

I substitute rice milk in almost every recipe I make that calls for milk or cream. Personally, I like rice milk better than soy milk because it has a more mild flavor (I can taste the soy milk). I haven't had any problem at all in any baked goods - 1:1 substitution for milk. I don't' notice any difference in taste or consistency 9though it's been a really long time since I used regular milk). It's thin, sort of like fat free milk.

But my icings don't always turn out how I like... although, that could be user error... I still haven't found a good homemade recipe for icing that I like.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the feedback. I've never tried rice milk so I'll look into that and also the vegan cake recipes. I appreciate the advice! icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:42am
post #6 of 8

I make lots of dairy-free cakes. Margarine, soy/oat/rice milk all contribute to altering the actual taste of the cake... not to mention making SMBC with milk-free margarine..... it's just nasty.

I do tell clients, when they ask about non-dairy cakes, that the taste is altered.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #7 of 8

Well, I found a cake recipe that was dairy free. It's wasn't too bad, but I made a whipped coconut milk frosting. Everyone liked it, but I thought it was difficult to work with. It didn't get very "stiff." Thanks again for everyone's help.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

Now it's true that nothing tastes quite like milk and butter but as someone who bakes only kosher, I need to keep my recipes neutral, meaning "pareve" so that it can be served with either meat or dairy. So I ALWAYS use margarine instead of butter, and either soy/rice or even water for the milk. I'm so used to it, that I can do it with my eyes closed. I alter all dairy recipes and almost all have been successful with a 1:1 ratio. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%