Need Help With Sunset Cake

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm by k-loveevents

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 12

Please forgive me for reposting this, but I need ideas for getting a sunset technique in BC for a cake. I posted yesterday in the cake ideas forum, but it doesn't get much traffic. I'd like to get the streaky effect, if that makes sense...ya know, how the sun hits the clouds? I think I need to watch Bob Ross reruns on PBS... icon_wink.gif

"I need help doing a 9x13 sunset theme. (I have a feeling this is for my surprise 40th birthday, but that's another story). So, in case it's a real order, it needs to look nice icon_smile.gif

I have no airbrush and no access to Wilton color mist at the moment, as Michaels is too far away to warrant a special trip...

Oh and it's BC, not fondant. I thought about painting w/ BC, but I'm not so sure, since I've never done it. And i have to do this at night after my real job. Any help would be appreciated! "

11 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 12

I haven't the first clue how to go about doing it. So, the first thing I would do would be to do a search...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-logi&p=how%20to%20paint%20a%20sunset&type=

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 12

Channeling Bob Ross...

Ok, Beachcakes, what do you have to work with at home? Do you have any powdered colors (not petal dust, powdered food color)? Colored sanding sugar?

Give me some clues so I can think about it and try to help.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 12

I would think that the 'painting' technique woudl work.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 12

Not sure if this helps but color dust with lemon extract makes an excellent "paint" (used this to color the eye on my B.O.B. cake). I'd use a couple of good brushes w/that (not Wilton but the ones used for canvas) and you'll be good to go.

beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for all the responses! This forum has all the action ! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar - Great idea about channelling Bob Ross. Maybe he'll send a Happy Little Cloud my way! icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, I don't have powdered color. Just Americolor gels in various colors and lustre/petal dusts. And 1/2 can (or less) of that spluttery blue Wilton color mist.

all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 12

I was and still am searching for acrylic or oil sunset techniques...thinking that the icing could be the 'paint' ...possibly thinned out with some corn syrup....

I wish the resolution on this one were clearer

all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 12

although this one is digital imaging, I found it interesting and useful as far as details go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQCUCml4Rk&feature=related

beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 12

excellent!! Thanks all4cake! icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 12

I can not draw. I have no idea about how to go about getting perspectives or anything like that. I've been thinking while searching through the links, what if you started with an image of the one you'd like to duplicate and either do a fbct and leave it at that or further elaborate the fbct once it's on the cake...

just a thought...

all4cake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 12

this is in a computer paint program but it'd still give the gist of how one could be done, eh?

k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 12

I've painted on fondant before using the americolor gel and it worked great and didn't bleed at all... not sure how it would work on bc but you could test it out...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%