Help Please!!! Marshmellow Fondant Issues

Decorating By carmenid Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm by lorieleann

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 9

I just covered a cake in Marshmallow fondant, and it is so soft that it can't be smoothed. It looks pretty sloppy. I placed it in the refrigerator with hopes that it may firm up, but it looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Is there a way to get the fondant smooth and looking nice after it is dry? any tips that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:06am
post #2 of 9

I don't think so. The trick with fondant is to have a very smooth buttercream or ganache over a very smooth, level cake surface to start with. The consistancy of the fondant should be like playdough and roll out very smooth. It takes some practice for getting it on a cake smoothly. Laying it on like a blanket and smoothing down the sides right away. I am sorry you are having a hard time with it. Don't give up first trys are hardly ever great. And I bet it doesn't look as bad as you think it does. We are our worst critics. And it will taste lovely anyway. There are some great youtube videos on how to cover a cake in fondant. They were very helpful to me.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 9

I forgot to say that I learned that I could not use my hands. I have found that using the fondant smoothers helps so much.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:33am
post #4 of 9

I also did my first MMF attempt tonight. It wasn't that great ouch.gif I think that the MMF was a tad too soft. I also think i need the plastic smoothers--my hands seemed to make it worse.

Is it helpful to have the cake frosted and chilled a bit to keep the BC a bit more firm? I found that as i tried to smooth it, the BC was moving down to the bottom (maybe i was just working it too hard to get out air pockets and instead of picking it up and relaying it? is that the process?)

still--it tasted delicious! I need to get this technique down.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 9

It sounds like your MMF was not dry/kneaded enough. I have learned that if it is not as easy to work with as playdough, then I probably have not kneaded enough powdered sugar into it or for long enough. Letting it rest for a night after you make it or dye it also helps.

I have 3 lbs of it resting from last night for a wedding cake today (my first!) and I intend to knead it more this morning, just to make sure it has enough powdered sugar. If it is sticking to your hand when you knead it, it needs more p.s. incorporated or more kneading.

Once you have it at a good consistency, dusting all of my work surfaces with corn starch works for me. I also roll it very thin for covering cakes, so it's not too heavy and not too sweet!

It took me a few attempts of working with MMF to get it. It just takes practice! HTH!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 9

It sounds like your MMF was not dry/kneaded enough. I have learned that if it is not as easy to work with as playdough, then I probably have not kneaded enough powdered sugar into it or for long enough. Letting it rest for a night after you make it or dye it also helps.

I have 3 lbs of it resting from last night for a wedding cake today (my first!) and I intend to knead it more this morning, just to make sure it has enough powdered sugar. If it is sticking to your hand when you knead it, it needs more p.s. incorporated or more kneading.

Once you have it at a good consistency, dusting all of my work surfaces with corn starch works for me. I also roll it very thin for covering cakes, so it's not too heavy and not too sweet!

It took me a few attempts of working with MMF to get it. It just takes practice! HTH!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 9

my first one i put two much butter cream on i did a crumb coat and thought you were supposed to bc it to so it was bumpy no matter how i tried to smooth it , every one though it was beautiful, but i knew lol, you can use viva to smooth it, i just got my smoother, did you let your fondant sit for about 7 to 12 hours? i have to make a huge batch today, i roll my thicker for cakes, and i've noticed on the tv shows they do to, you don't want it to dry it can crack, oh and i read on here to place a board or 12x12 ceramic tiles on the cakes to prevent bulging from the inside bc for an our or so or just press on it

k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 9

Using a crusting buttercream recipe will help the fondant alot. One of the ccers had said that it pushed their buttercream to the bottom... if you use a crusting recipe and let it crust in the fridge before you smooth it and put the fondant on it won't move so much... Also when you a putting fondant on a cake you are really supposed to be pulling the fondant out a bit and then pushing up. check out youtube... they have an excellent video on how to put fondant on a cake... good luck!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 9

thanks for the tips. i'll be checking out the videos and trying again 9and again, and again)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%