I Want To Know How To Make Up My Own Recipe

Decorating By cookiedoescakes Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:22am by Bellatheball

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 4

I need help. I would like to develop my own cake recipe and I need your help to do that. What basics need to be added and what is variable. Please help me out. icon_redface.gif

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 4

Well it is that simple and then again it's not. There are a lot of variables: What mixing method? What type of cake? The flavoring agents and additions can affect what type and how much leavening you need to use. Unless you have extensive knowledge of baking science, your best bet is to find one or two basic recipes (one white, one chocolate, for instance) and use those as your jumping off point for experimentation. Do a little reading up on baking, leavening agents, and formulas, how different ingredients react with each other and why they are used in certain recipes. When it gets down to it, sometimes you just have to %$# around with stuff until you get what you like.

One of my pastry instructors told me something that Jacques Torres said to her when she was working under him @ LeCircque: "When you make as many mistakes as I have made, then you will be as good a chef as I am." Don't be afraid to experiment!

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 4

Thanks PinkZiab. I think I will have to start with a basic recipe and work from there. On of these days I will have a recipe to call my very own. thumbs_up.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 4

I seriously heart Jacques Torres (even though I've never met him). icon_biggrin.gif

I have a lot of my own recipes but they all started with someone else's recipe. I just started tweaking...adding more oil or milk or eggs to a dry recipe...adding more brown sugar for extra chewiness etc etc. I have about 5 recipes that are really, truly my own but they all came from playing around for several years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%