Why Does My Cake Have Holes In It? Used Kakeladi's Wasc

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 20 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm by andysings

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 14

I never had this happen before...

Love the texture more than the other version and would like to stick with it, but when I leveled, I could see holes throughout the cake??

13 replies
CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 14

Air bubbles while it bakes. I use the same recipe what I do is beat a bit less and when the pan s filled I bang it on the counter a few times..this gets air bubbles out and gives a more even distribution for more even tops!
HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, you can drop the pan on your counter a few times (until the bubbles stop coming up). Usually when there are lots of holes in the cake it means the batter was too thick. Try adding just a bit more liquid is the 'banging' doesn't do it.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 14

I have no idea about mix cakes, but large air bubbles generally occur when you don't sift flour. Sifting allows the leavening agent (baking soda/powder) to mix more evenly among the flour particles. If the leavening, whatever it is in your recipe, clumps together rather than spreading out, it will join forces and create fewer large bubbles, not lots of tiny bubbles as it should.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 14

I get air bubbles sometimes when I mix by hand. No problems when I use a mixer... My cakes are denser with hand mixing too.

FlourPots Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks very much...this was a practice cake, so I'll definitely try these tips for the real one.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 14

Overmixing can also cause this... it's called tunneling... it happens a lot with quickbreads, but isn't uncommon with baked goods made from a mix if they are overmixed too.

FlourPots Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 14

That's interesting because I actually did mix it longer than I normally would.
I was following the instructions to the letter...30 seconds on low, 2 minutes on medium...since it was my first time making it.

That doesn't sound extreme to me though.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:34am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

That's interesting because I actually did mix it longer than I normally would.
I was following the instructions to the letter...30 seconds on low, 2 minutes on medium...since it was my first time making it.

That doesn't sound extreme to me though.

Are you using a stand or hand electric mixer?

For most cake batters, low/med.low on a stand mixer is sufficient to mix the ingredients without overbeating.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

HTH

FlourPots Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:56am
post #10 of 14

I used a stand mixer (KA)...great links, thanks!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 14

These are great links. Thanks, JanH!

I have had problems with holes in my cakes for the past couple of years. I have used different mixers, different speeds, different beating times. I always drop my cakes on the counter or the floor to get the bubbles to the top, but there seem to be an UNending supply of air bubbles and I still have them coming up during the baking time ... I break them as the cake is baking and still have them in my finished products.

My only cake that doesn't have that problem is Epicurious.com's Double Chocolate Layer Cake. It is a really thin batter ... maybe I need to add more liquid to my cakes, but I am a firm believer in 'following the recipe' ...

I've almost resorted to NOT baking, but that certainly won't work! icon_biggrin.gif

I will be following this thread ...

andysings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysings Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 1:03am
post #12 of 14

This info is very helpful, thank you. just made a pound cake that taste great but have the holes. thinking two possible reasons. 1. oven may have been to hot. 2.Too much flour. learning how to decrease recipe sizes. Recipe was for 9" cake but that too much cake so I decrease the recipe by 25% to make a 6" cake. Also may have to decrease or eliminate bp. Having fun learning.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 2:06am
post #13 of 14

Was it Betty Crocker? I find that ones makes a lot of holes.

andysings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysings Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 14

No it's a scratch cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%