Spray Fondant With Water

Decorating By Mrsnoodle Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm by CakeMommy3

Mrsnoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsnoodle Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have made a cut out fondant jolly roger on a black fondant circle that I am going to put at the top of a buttercream frosted cake. The image looks a little "chalky" or dusty and I think that I saw the guy from "Cake Boss" misting fondant with water to make it go a little shiny. I think the image would look nice a little shinier. Should I do this? What are the drawbacks?

3 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, steaming with hot water will definitely make your fondant shiney and glossy. You might try rubbing with a little shortening, though, depending on the piece. If it's delicate and/or small, that might not work. But you have to be careful with steam as it only takes a few seconds to make the piece shiney. Too much steam will obviously melt your fondant. HTH!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 4

You can also rub it lightly with a paper towel moistened with vodka or a flavoring extract with a high percentage of alcohol. The alcohol evaporates more quickly than water.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

I have seen people on youtube boiling a pot of water, then holding fondant or gumpaste flowers over the steam for a couple of seconds to make them shiny. That seems easy, but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%