You Know You've Been At It Too Long When...

Decorating By mommyle Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 6:30am by Franluvsfrosting

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 24

So I think I need some more sleep. I'm panicking, but I think I'm okay now. And THEN...

I'm looking in the news and there is a title about something about R.I. and prostitution. I think to myself "Hmmmm.... royal icing and hookers..."

Any one else feeling this????

23 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 24

Oh yeah! I swear I dream about cake. Everything I see I somehow associate! Glad I'm not the only one! LOL!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 24

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I saw that but I thought it was Rhode Island. I haven't done a cake in a few weeks so my sugar fix has dwindled.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 24

My husband and I had to go to one of his work gatherings in this really ornate ballroom recently. I get bored at these things, so I kept looking at the plastered, draping designs all around the ceiling thinking that they were just like stringwork and a pretty border!!

I'm also a quilter and the same thing happens when I see a cobblestone walk or one of those sound barriers along the highway -- my husband often catches me with the look on my face and says, "You're thinking that looks like a quilt, aren't you?" icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 24

Until 2 weeks ago I worked in a furniture manufacturer. We had a wood finish named "classic cherry" aka "CC". That always made me think of this site.

I see cake patterns in lots of things too. Sometimes the dress in front of me at church or someone's purse. I think we're all a little obsessed.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 24

I was admiring a lady's dress today because it would make a great cake design! icon_redface.gif

When Brea (redhead on Desparate Housewives) had her wedding picture in People magazine, showing her cutting this HUGE cake, I held the open magz up to my husband and said, "look at this!" He looks and says, "Yeah .... she's hot!" I said, "The CAKE, you idiot! I'm talking about the cake!"

I go to funerals and while I'm slowly moving forward in the greeting line, I find myself looking at the casket (1) because I used to work in a casket mfg'r company and (2) because I'm trying to figure out how to carve a cake to look like one.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 24

I see cake patterns in clothes, books, everything!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 24

I guess I am guilty too. I look everywhere for thing I can turn into a cake. There was a new magazine at work and I saw a new toy coming out, I told my co-worker, that would be a cute cake. Tore the page out, went home and took the cake back to work the next day.....this is my sanity to a hectic life....

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 24

Whenever my husband buys a new power tool he automatically tells me "No you can't use it to make cakes". Am I that obvious?

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 24

LOL i do it to!! I dream about making cakes all of the time...and i always try to bring it up in conversations hahaha..i think my boyfriend just ignores me lately when i talk about it!

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 24

lol, I was just reading Rachel Ray's mag this morning and she had these paper lanterns in a picture. She had different sizes and shapes as a centerpiece with flowers all around them. It was so pretty. I sat there trying to think about how I could do that for a cake! Oh yes, we are sick!! lol

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 24

One time I was watching t.v. with my kids and in the background of a shot I saw this brightly colored really cool tiered cake.....it was all square layers but they were offcentered and every one of them was a different primary color and a couple of them had piped designs on the sides of them. My son got in front of the t.v. and I was like "Move, I wanna see the cake before the scene changes!"...it was then that my son informed me that "It's NOT a cake, it is a stack of boxes!" Apparently the guy was even talking about all the gifts he'd just purchased for his wife! How was I suppose to know?? It looked like a cake! LOL

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 24

lol yah i get "oh that'd make a great cake idea!" i get the same with alot of my hobbies, aquariums, my worst is gardening though, i find a use for almost everything lol.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 24

When my husband and I were visiting the Mississippi coast, I took several pictures of the ornate designs that were on some of their older buildings. Several of those designs would make elegant swags.
They also have beautiful wrought iron work. Great inspiration for side designs.

-Debbie B.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 24

YEah, last week at out girls' night in night, we were talking about new stuff and I said - yeah, like the new show Cake Boss and was shocked/disappointed that they didn't know Buddy's name.

Or when I'm having a conversation at home with my mom and I say, "Yeah, indydebi from CC said such and such"

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 24

anyone have that nightmare that you missed a class, or failed a test and didn't graduate from college? I thought that was the worst nightmare until I started baking cakes. I woke up in a cold sweat, completely panicked because I dreamed I over slept and had only 30 minutes to bake ice and decorate a cake. I just sat in my bed shaking. Stupid cakes

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 24

.....something about R.I. and prostitution. I think to myself "Hmmmm.... royal icing and hookers..."

Yep, I saw this and had the same thought! icon_smile.gif

........I woke up in a cold sweat, completely panicked because I dreamed I over slept and had only 30 minutes to bake ice and decorate a cake........

It wasn't all that long ago (maybe 3 months) I had a similar dream and woke all in a dither icon_smile.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 24

I've got a good one...... My husband was helping me take a couple of outside decorations out of a rather slim, large box , one being a clock and the other being a thermometer . Both are about the size of a 14" layer. Each one was nestled in a square styrofoam packing box . As he was pulling them out of the box, he said exactly what I was thinking.........."Hey these would make a great dispay cake !" I laughed so hard cause he actually said it FIRST this time ! Not only do we see everything as cake, apparently my hubby is starting to see everything as cake as well! icon_lol.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #19 of 24

When you go out on a cake delivery and forget to deliver the cake and do errands instead. (leaving the cake in the back of the car the whole time your out shopping) Yeah I did this today. I went to the cake store bought some new clothes and to walmart. When I came out from walmart and opened the trunk of my van OOPS there it was the cake...... good thing she didnt need it till 2 ( it was 1:30)
I think I have sugar for brains

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

When you go out on a cake delivery and forget to deliver the cake

Lucky for you it did not melt! Near 100 here in St. Louis area today!! We've gone from warm and lots of rain to HOT and HUMID!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #21 of 24

Lucky for you it did not melt! Near 100 here in St. Louis area today!! We've gone from warm and lots of rain to HOT and HUMID![/quote]
Tell me about it! It also had chocolate seashells on it. Could have been disasterous! Thank god its been cool here!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #22 of 24

OMGoodness, you guys crack me up!!!! So glad I'm not the only one!!!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #23 of 24

that's really funny because I live near Rhode Island and every time I see the signs on the road I think "providence, royal icing".

edited to fix error.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:30am
post #24 of 24

Even my kids are doing it now. It seems I always get the question "Do you scrapbook?" because I'll often grab someones scrap paper and start checking it out. Then I have to fess up that I don't but that their paper would make a fabulous cake design! Clothes, paper, plant arrangements, my tea cup collection...they're all mentally converted to cake! I'm a far better decorator in my head than real life though! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%