Saving Gumpaste Figures For Eternity?

Decorating By bethasd Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm by peg818

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I recently did a cake with a couple of little gumpaste dogs, a cat and a beach chair. The customer asked me if they could shellac them to save them forever. Is this possible?
LL

5 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it would be worth a shot! By the way - too cute!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

Hello icon_smile.gif
The Black and White cake in my avatar was my daughters 30th bday cake. For an additional keepsake gift to her I shadow boxed the sugar pieces for her and they are in the same condition now as they were 6 months ago when i made them. I made sure the shadow box was sealed airtight as possible by using a hot glue gun. From what I understand keeping them stored in an airtight container is the best method of preservation.
You can view the shadow boxed pieces in my photos here,
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309277

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

If you can get a hold of some of those silica gel packs that come in shoe boxes and purses that will help keep the moisture out.

BC0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BC0101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

I was wondering the same thing. I made a jungle cake for my son's first birthday and wanted to keep the fondant/gumpaste animals to put in his room.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

I have a couple of fondant figures in my china cabinet and they are a couple of years old. No problems with that. They don't sit in the direct sunlight, which helps keep them from fading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%