Help!!!....wrong Butter Used For Smbc!!!

Decorating By jenna15 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm by mclaren

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 12

I was in a rush last week to make all my icings for my cake that was due sunday....in the rush I made TWO batches of swiss meringue buttercream with SALTED butter!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!! It tasted horrible! I had to run out and buy unsalted and make two more batches. Is it possible to save the "salted" SMBC??? Am I the only one that has ever done this?? I froze this icing in the hopes that it could be fixed in the future....Any ideas or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

11 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 12

I'll give you a bump since I've never made it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 12

I actually make my SMBC with half salted butter, as I prefer it! Add some melted white chocolate to yours and it should sweeten it up a treat.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 12

I use salted butter for everything - no taste difference as far as I'm concerned.

If you think there is a salty taste, try adding a little extra vanilla.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 12

Either do the 50/50 as bonjovibabe suggested, use it only on a practice cake with choc. mixed in (really I think choc. masks just about anything), or toss it. I personally wouldn't use SMBC made with salted butter because it just reminds me of a big stick of butter. Good luck! I can only imagine how awful you feel. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 12

I heard you can make peanut butter SMBC with it after you accidentally used salted. Which reminds....need to toss some PB in my next batch just to see.

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the help!! I think I will try the chocolate add in......can't go wrong with Chocolate!!! Thanks again CCer's!! you are the best!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 12

melted dark or milk chocolate worked for me icon_smile.gif

Brooke420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke420 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #9 of 12

I've only made SMBC a few times, but I've made it with salted everytime. I think it tastes great. Is there really that much difference if you use unsalted butter? Maybe I'll try unsalted the next time I make it and see.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:09am
post #10 of 12

I made the same mistake once too. I just turned it into caramel bc which goes well with a little saltyness.

I think the choc or PB could work too.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:35am
post #11 of 12

One time I didn't realize my butter was salted until the last minute so I omitted the initial pinch of salt and nothing happened, it was just perfect but if yours is really noticeable just mix it with some "unsalted" BC so it don't go to waste. Don't stress out anymore, we all make mistakes one time or another thumbs_up.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 12

since i love butter, i put lots on my bread when i spread it, i don't mind devouring SMBC made with salted butter, which everyone has been complaining tasted like a stick of butter.

send 'em over, i say icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%