9X13 Pan`

Decorating By ninatat Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm by pianocat

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 5

i going to try and make an airplane taking off for my dad for fathers day and the cake the runway i'm going to use a cross like base for the plane, how many cake mixes do i need, and how much fondant do you think i'll need for the cake plus the plane. i hear of of people using rice crispy's should i use it for the plane and do i just mix it with melted marshmallows, thank you

4 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:34am
post #2 of 5

I am not sure I am answering this right. But I used a 9X13 casarole dish for a while as my cake pan. I used 2 mixes in it and it would bubble up a little (before I learned about the flower tip trick) but it filled it nicely and my cakes were very good.

If your options for making the plane are fondant or RCT, then I would go with RCT. Fondant is for the most part heavy. I dont think it would be too hevy, but you also dont want it to weigh down your icing.

I dont know if the RCT are a special blend or not, but they do have to be coverd.

I might use gumpaste to do it with. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:14am
post #3 of 5

The rice krispie treat is just the regular recipe. It's lumpy so you might have to cover it twice with fondant, the first time squishing the fondant in pretty well to cover the gaps, then the second time with a smooth outer coating. I think I'd make the wings from foamboard covered with fondant. That's how I made the gun in my photos, fondant over foamboard.

You could probably use the WASC cake mix extender recipe for one 9x13 pan. Sometimes I like to use a little more than that so that it comes out nice and tall. To make a cross shape, you could cut the 9x13 in half lengthwise and then cut one of the halves in half and put them at right angles against the longer piece, to make the cross shape. That will be a tricky shape to cover with fondant though.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

thanks all, how much fondant do you think i will need for the plane, and the 19x13 cake that's going to be the run way, and i'm going to have the air plane above it should i make two layers or just cut the base cake and make two layers out of it, another think i've made critters, i made a dog, a man, and a girl that are going to be sitting on the grass, and i have 20 little runway lights, how long does it take you to make these, i sit on the floor with a large blanket, it's better for my back, but i also listen to tv. so i guess i could be much faster i worked on them most of the day. Thanks all i'm hoping for a good turn out can i make the cake today, for father's day thank you

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 5

When I did a small building with RKT, I really squished them down to get rid of some of the bumpy look, then I coated with BC before I put on fondant. This seemed to help smooth it out. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%