Mmf - Way Way Too Stretchy!!! Please Fondant Help!!

Decorating By katherinem Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 1:20am by katherinem

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

I've never had this kind of a problem with MMF before. I tried a recipe basically the same it just calls for a couple teaspoons of vanilla in addition to the water and marshamallows. I added the same amount of sugar but i'm not sure if its doing this because there isn't enough sugar or what is going on but I tired lifting it myself and even rolling it out on the big blue silicone mat and grabbing the mat and fondant to flip onto the cake and it literally falls from my fingers stretching out and falls onto the table -- i made 2 batches fora 8 - 6 - 4 inch yellow teddy bear and sunflower cake so I really need to figure out what is going on.

If anyone can help - thank you!!

7 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 8

Hmm...sounds like not enough powdered sugar to me.

Knead in some more PS until it's firm enough and use crisco on your hands. You really need to work the fondant well.

*Add in like 1/2 cup of PS at a time. You can always add more, but you can't take away too much PS. thumbs_up.gif

slcoutu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slcoutu Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

yeah I would try to add more sugar too. Anytime that I've had overly-stretchy MMF it has worked to add more sugar and kneed it in with more crisco.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with the PPs and also, MMF tends to be better after it has settled a little. Maybe wrap it up tight and let it sit for an hour.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 8

Ditto, when I knead mine, I always sprinkle a little powdered sugar until I get it the consistency I like. I always end up using more PS than what the recipe calls for.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 8

More PS is the way to go. Also for future reference you might want to try adding about 1/4 cup of crisco to the marshmallows before you melt them. That's what I do and it comes out perfect every time. Good luck!

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedbyLisa

More PS is the way to go. Also for future reference you might want to try adding about 1/4 cup of crisco to the marshmallows before you melt them. That's what I do and it comes out perfect every time. Good luck!

When I tried this my MMF would not harden!! At all! It stayed really floppy even after being out in the open for 24 hrs!
I have heard of ppl doing this but it didn't work for me.

I agree with pp more PS!!!

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 8

Thank you - yes I know the wrapping it up and letting it sit was not the problem since I wrapped it up in saran wrap very tightly and then sealed it in a large ziplock bag for about 1 1/2 days.

I will try adding the PS and hopefully that will fix the problem.
thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%