What Changes Have You Made To Your Cake Contract?

Business By playingwithsugar Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 12

Lately, we've seen questions about deadlines for payment, changes in design or servings, delivery vs. pickup.

What contract term(s) have you added since reading about contract issues here on CC or in other forums?

What term do you wish you had in there, right from the start?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 12

The only thing I have changed is the my cake is the only one allowed at the event. (and I did that last year) The rest of it was there from the get go (BUT I researched the contracts and knew what I wanted in it)

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 12

I've added lots of things....deadlines for payment and forms of payment, changes in design, a blurb about real flowers and pesticides, a blurb about liability for cakes in an outdoor setting (damage from heat, wind, insects, etc.) and a blurb about matching colors. I wish I had the info about payment deadlines and design changes in my contract from the beginning, because my first wedding cake order tried my patience on both issues....the bride tried to change the cake design a week before the event, and then I had to chase her down for the remaining payment the day of the event. Never again! I changed my contract the next day, and I keep adding things when I hear horror stories from other cakers....

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 12

I just recently added a section for color/photograph matching and my cake being the only cake at the event.

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

Does anyone have an allergy liability clause in theirs? With all these food allergies popping up, I would think that the responsibility for flavors and ingredients should be upon the client.

Is it wise to open the Pandora's Box and inquire about food allergies, or is the responsibility for disclosing that issue left to the client?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 12

IF I have a client mention food allergies, we are done. NADA - no cake from me. I am not even going there. They have to go elsewhere for their cake if it is even mentioned to me.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

The only thing I have changed is the my cake is the only one allowed at the event. (and I did that last year) The rest of it was there from the get go (BUT I researched the contracts and knew what I wanted in it)

I have this in my contract as well, but how do you know if another cake shows up "after" we've left? How exactly does this work? I'd hate for a chain store cake to show up and be served along with mine... but how would (do) we find this out? And do any of you hold them accountable?

thanks icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

IF I have a client mention food allergies, we are done. NADA - no cake from me. I am not even going there. They have to go elsewhere for their cake if it is even mentioned to me.

I have a line I check off for "no known allergies" and they sign that when the cake is delivered. I do ask, just because it's a compulsion of mine... I pretty much document everything these days. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 12

Oh I can't even begin to list the changes mine has gone thru! And most of it stupid stuff ... like having to write down that I dont' stay and clean the facility because I'm not a cleaning service. I absolutely expect to have to put in a clause someday that I don't do the bride's hair because I'm not a hair salon! (Honestly, people think the caterer does EVERYTHING!)

I had one bride email me to ask if I "cued the band". Who do I look like, Ricky Ricardo????? I'm COOKING AND PRESENTING YOUR FOOD, ya big dumba$$! You need a wedding planner, then hire one! icon_mad.gif

If they don't buy the cake from me, then I don't provide plates for the cake and if I need to, then it's an extra charge, BUT YOU HAVE TO TELL ME IN ADVANCE! If you don't order drinks from me, then don't ask me for ice and cups .... YOU DIDN'T ORDER DRINKS FROM ME, so why would I even bring cups???

And it just ticks me off that we actually have to WRITE DOWN AND MAKE THEM SIGN that if we don't get paid, then they get no cake. Why does something that logical actually have to be spelled out? icon_mad.gif

(Yeah ... I'm in a mood today!)

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 12

Just the person I was hoping would jump in here.

Thanks, Debi.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Does anyone have an allergy liability clause in theirs? With all these food allergies popping up, I would think that the responsibility for flavors and ingredients should be upon the client.

Is it wise to open the Pandora's Box and inquire about food allergies, or is the responsibility for disclosing that issue left to the client?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

this sample contract contains such a clause -- basically saying -- I'm NOT accommodating ANY allergies

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-630887-0.html -

first post -- use the io.drop version to get it in Word editable format.

Password is case sensitive -- best to copy and paste it.

playingwithsugar Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks again, Doug. I spotted this when you posted it, and although I didn't memorize it, at the time I read it, I was sure that you had pretty much touched all possible bases.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%