Can I Mix Candy Melts With Chocolate?

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 12:15pm by Cake4ever

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 4

Im getting ready to dip my petites fours but I realized I didnt buy enough candy melts. I have one bag of candy melts and one bag of white chocolate. Can I melt them together or will they cause a weird reaction? Will it still be smooth like the candy melts? icon_sad.gif Sometimes when I just just chocolate for dipping its so thick and I have been having so many problems with it, I was hoping if I mixed the two maybe Id get a consistancy somewhere in between?

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 4

Should be just fine.

Rae

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 4

I didnt get any responses in time last night so I went ahead and did it. That stuff turned out so thick I was not able to dip a thing in it. The petites fours were frozen, but it still pulls crumbs off of it and wasnt really sticking that well, maybe from the condensation starting to form on the petites fours. So I tried to thin it out my converting it to ganache. I cooked and added heavy cream to the chocolate, wasnt sure if that was gonna work but it did. I added little by little until it was thinned out enough that I thought I could use it. Still too thick to dip and the crumbs were everywhere.

Soooo I put it in a piping bag, but the cakes on a grid and covered them that way. It worked, but it was so thin you could see through it. Even two coats didnt look good at all. Very frustrated and exhausted at 11pm, I stuck them in the freezer, left my mess on the counter and went to bed.

Checked on them this morning to see how they set, and they were sticky! In the freezer! I have never had ganache be sticky after set. I wonder if my freezer went on defrost? It was just not good. I dont think even usuable, possibly fixable but Ive already spent $12 in ingrediants on these things and I didnt even really intend to have them. I just had a lot of extra batter left over from making my son's smash cake.

I am so frustrated. I really dont think I belong in the kitchen. lol. chocolate is always giving me attitude.

I did so much research before I did these stupid things. I REALLY thought I was set. I thought I really knew how to do it the right way so I wouldnt mess up. Figures. icon_sad.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 4

Oh bummer, sorry to hear it didn't work out! WE all have those days, you're not alone. Hugs... Hey, I was a closet WASC failure until recently! LOL. It's good to challenge yourself on something you've failed at. Never give up! thumbs_up.gif

Just brainstorming here...

I wonder if crisco would have helped to thin it down enough? I have a chocolate fountain and it says to use vegetable oil to get it to flow if you're not using Belgian chocolate. Although, it would not set up as you need it to.

Hmm...I'm thinking next time experiment with pourable fondant? I believe Peggy Porschen has a recipe for it in her book. I do not have the recipe or else I'd share it with you.

Oooh, and I almost forgot a SUPER easy no fail way... nuking a container of pre-made canned icing! Oh yes, I am shaking my head yes, as I write this, it does work and sets up as nicely as poured fondant! It's in the Hello, Cupcake! book. thumbs_up.gif How freaking easy and cheap can that be? icon_wink.gif Ha!

You see, there are always other options. Oh joy, just more fun with cake. Poor you! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%