Gum Paste Or Fondant???

Decorating By debiz1123 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm by DollyCakes

debiz1123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debiz1123 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 7

I am making a Hannah Montana guitar cake for my grandaughter and am going to cover it with BC but want to make some of the other decorations out of fondant or gum paste, but how do you determine which one to use, I've tried searching the internet but no luck. I've used both a few times in my limited cake decorating experience, but don't know how to determine which to use for what...........

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance.

Debbie

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 7

I guess it really just depends on the item. What else are you thinking about making?

debiz1123 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I guess it really just depends on the item. What else are you thinking about making?

I'm going to make the pick guard, some flowers, the knobs that go on the side of the arm that hold the string in and that long thingy on the arm.....sorry, I have no idea the real names for these items.

Thanks again!

Debbie

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 7

I would make the knobs out of gumpaste. Then I would make the pick guard and the string out of fondant. Now these flowers, are they going to be standing up like rose would on a wedding cake? Or is it going to be flat like the pick guard? And then just kind of etched out? (Sorry, I was looking at some Hannah Montana guitars). If it's going to be real flowers like the wedding, I would use gumpaste. If it's the other, I would use fondant.

And I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the long thingy on the end means! I even asked my husband who plays the guitar. Hope this helps!

debiz1123 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I would make the knobs out of gumpaste. Then I would make the pick guard and the string out of fondant. Now these flowers, are they going to be standing up like rose would on a wedding cake? Or is it going to be flat like the pick guard? And then just kind of etched out? (Sorry, I was looking at some Hannah Montana guitars). If it's going to be real flowers like the wedding, I would use gumpaste. If it's the other, I would use fondant.

And I'm sorry, but I have no idea what the long thingy on the end means! I even asked my husband who plays the guitar. Hope this helps!

The flowers won't be flat, so I guess I should use gum paste for those? The long thingy I'm trying to explain (and not so well) I think is called the fret board?? So I guess that would be made out of fondant? Why couldn't everything be made out of gum paste?

Thank you!!

Debbie

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 7

I prefer to use gumpaste for decorations. It keeps it's shape and easier to form.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 7

gumpaste dries rock hard and fondant usually with keep a little flexibility...depends on what you're making.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%