How Long Is A Fondant Covered Cake Edible?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm by patticakesnc

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 11

Last Thurs. I took the cake from the freezer and decorated it (all in fondant) and delivered on Friday. I talked to the customer today and was told that the cake had not yet been cut into. They had used it for a center piece at the party. I am afraid things are growing under the fondant and I don't want to be blamed for it. I can't believe that it would still be good. It was crumb coated in buttercream. Here is a pict of the cake in question.
LL

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 11

My 50th BD cake was iced in BC and covered in fondant. I cut one of the tiers when the cake was 8 days old and it was VERY edible. If I wanted to get it to grocery-store-bakery texture, I could have saved it another couple of days and served it!

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 11

That is good to hear! I need to defrost and decorate a wedding cake (very simple design) on a Tues. drive 4 hours with it on Wed. and serve it Friday night. I have been worried about the time line. I am planning on using WASC, buttercream, covered in Fondant. So it should still taste good?? Also, are there any fillings that can be trusted for 4 days other then buttercream? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 11

any of the sleeved fillings will work fine. I never refrigerate any of my cakes (i also never use fillings that need refrigeration)

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you! I read the sleeved fillings didn't need refrigeration but I wasn't sure they could last 4 days. I am glad to hear they can!

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 11

I have had fondant covered cake sit on my table for up to 2 weeks, and still tasting perfect until the last bite.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 11

Wow, I would love to know what kind of fondant it was.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. I'm glad to know that my reputation won't be destroyed. I'm just getting started and I don't want anyone to get sick (even if not my fault). icon_smile.gif

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11

What are sleeved fillings and where do I get them?

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by online_annie

Wow, I would love to know what kind of fondant it was.

It was home made.
I have never bought fondant. I make my own form scratch.
when I make kids cake, I use mmf.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danacakes65

What are sleeved fillings and where do I get them?

Sleeved fillings are fillings like raspberry, cream cheese, bavarian etc, that come in a large plastic sleeve looking bag. You can get them at globalsugarart.com . Just search fillings and you will find them. They are about $4 per bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%