Dog Soiling In House... Any Suggestions

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm by cakes22

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 17

Our 4 year-old cocker bichon female Flossie has started peeing in the house. She's done it about 5 -6 times in the last couple of weeks. Today I came home to find that she'd pooped on the carpet. I was really mad with her (as I spent 3 hours yesterday shampooing the carpets) and rubbed her nose in it - she was very ashamed and hid for about an hour, after which I was able to clean her up, make friends and go out for a walk. Later I was in the basement and found another three poops.

Does anyone have experience of this? She did do the peeing thing once before when we fenced off the yard to protect the grass, so we figured she doesn't like peeing on gravel. I took out the gate and it stopped. She does have a dog door, so it's not like she can't get outside to go. I just don't understand it and would really welcome some advice from any doggy psychologists out there! I will probably take her to the vet to get checked over, but my gut feeling is that it's a mental thing.

16 replies
misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 17

Has anything changed in your house? Even something you would not think would matter? New position of furniture? Decor? Dogs and cats can be super sensitive to changes in their environment.

One of my dogs freaked the day we had my grandmother's funeral repast here. There were a lot of people around that she did not know and she peed in my room (thank goodness for hard wood floors). Also, last Halloween my mom got this cool plastic standing cat that had bright green eyes and was about the size of a real cat. For days we could not figure out why my real cat was throwing up and pooping like crazy. Turns out it was the plastic cat. As soon as we put it outside my cat had no more issues.

KathyB101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyB101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 17

Hello, Sorry to hear about your dog. I had the same problem with my Cat, she started peeing in the Apartment right after we moved in. My Girlfriend told me she had the same problem with her Cat when she moved to her new Condo. Here is what you do,purchase this product,Natures Miracle. you can buy this at Petco, online or other pet store retailers, even Walmart carries it.

http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php

Best Product to use, I hope this helps. - Kathy..

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Has anything changed in your house? Even something you would not think would matter? New position of furniture? Decor? Dogs and cats can be super sensitive to changes in their environment.

my parents bought a house in idaho last july and my dad moved with his dog, abby while i stayed in so cal for culinary school and my mom stayed in pismo beach to finish up work so she could retire. we got my dad a second dog, abe, for christmas, so it was the three of them all alone in idaho from december to march. in march my mom and i moved in and it seemed like all hell broke loose. not so much with abby, because we had all lived as a family for 2 years before the big moves. but abe just didn't like it. he started peeing in the dining room (luckily it was on tile) he's been getting better as we've been here a few months. so we've definitely learned they are VERY senstivie to changes. i've heard that that nature's miracle stuff really does work so it's worth a shot.

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 17

You might want to check with your veteranarian about that. Sometimes it's a behavioral issue, but if your dog is older then it might be a medical issue. If that's the case, it's out of the dogs control and can't be helped. Maybe it picked up a virus or something outside? Either way I would certainly take your pup to the vet for a check-up.

Jasmine

-Tubbs Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for the responses. I found another wet patch on the carpet this morning icon_sad.gif It's really starting to get me down.

We had friends living with us for about 2 months, and the husband in particular was in LOVE with Flossie and made a fuss of her all the time. They moved out about 6 weeks ago, and we're wondering if this could be the change that has upset her. This has been happening for about 2 weeks. Our friends live close by, so we still see them all the time - maybe not enough for her though..?

Thanks for the suggestion of the cleaning product - I will pick up some. I will also make an appointment with the vet today. I have noticed she is drinking more than usual also, so I'm wondering if it's possible she could have developed diabetes. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 17

I was going to suggest the vet, too. My golden retriever started having accidents, and it turned out that she had a bladder infection. It was simple to treat, fortunately.

Good luck!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 17

I don't know if this is true for dogs, but my cat was recently diagnosed as a diabetic, thankfully not a severe one, anyways I guess a side effect of diabetes in cats is peeing and pooping outside the box. I would get her in the vet.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #9 of 17

Tubbs...let us know what happened at the vet. I do hope it is something minor and treatable if its anything with the doggies health.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #10 of 17

oh, I hope you're dog is ok. Diabetes wouldn't be fun to have in a pet. I've been going through training our new puppy lately. It's a lot of work!

Good luck! Will be thinking of your dog icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 17

I would definitely take your dog to the vet, there is a reason why this is happening!! Good Luck and Best wishes!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 17

Tubbs: go to the vet. Our female dog had a liver/kidney problem which caused her to pee in the house. She never had accidents before & we always walked her & her brother. She was almost in complete renal failure at the age of 6. Her body couldn't handle protien and had to go on a special diet with medication to get her liver/kidneys back to functioning properly. Her urine was clear and had very little oder, and even though she was drinking a little more than usual, her frequent peeing also caused her to become severely dehydrated. She spent 3 days in the vets office on i.v and antibiotics. She lived to the age of 12, but eventually we had to put her down due to liver cancer (a tumor erupted and caused internal bleeding).
Hopefully you puppy will be okay.

-Tubbs Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks for your kind responses. She peed again this morning icon_sad.gif She's at the groomers right now, but I will try to get her into the vet later today. I have been reading about diabetes and I am suspicious it could be that, as she has been drinking more than normal.

I'll report back later.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #14 of 17

If she didn't "go" in the house before something has happened to change that whether it be physical or emotional. The last thing you should do is rub her nose in it. I know that's what a lot of people do, but it really is not beneficial to the animal.

If she checks out ok physically then it's something emotional. You may need to start over with her training. I strongly suggest using the kennel method to housebreak any dog.

Please keep us posted on what you find out from the vet.

-Tubbs Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #15 of 17

I took Flossie to the vet this afternoon, who drew blood and took a urine sample (from the puddle on the floor - she was scared, poor thing). I should know the results tomorrow, but the vet could see no obvious signs of any health problem.

I have set up the crate in our room - we bought it when she was a puppy but never really used it. The plan is to put her in it last thing at night, before we turn off the lights. I don't expect her to like it at all, but since she tends to pee in the night, I hope it might help. I'll report back when there is any news.

-Tubbs Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 17

I thought I should update all you kind people who responded to my plea for help. Well, it seems my dog is a faker! Her blood and urine tests came back clear for anything, even an infection. Although this is obviously great news, it doesn't explain all the peeing.

Since Saturday, she does seem a bit more cheerful, so maybe she was just a bit depressed and acting out. We have her in the crate at night, and she seems fine with it - doesn't choose to go in, but doesn't fuss about it once she's in. We haven't had any puddles since before the weekend, which is a good sign.

I guess we just have to keep an eye on her and hope things really settle down.

Thank you all for your concern.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #17 of 17

Glad to hear everything is okay with your puppy (sorry, I call all dogs puppies).

Hope you continue to have a puppy-pee free home!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%