Coffee Can Cake

Decorating By suzeep Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 6:49pm by suzeep

suzeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzeep Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 14

I'm trying to figure a way to make a tiki cake for a luau. I thought maybe I could use a a couple of 2 pound coffee cans and stack them. Does that sound feasible? Does anyone know about baking in coffee cans. i.e. Does one cake mix fit in a 2 pound can or would it take more batter. Also, does it bake differently (Longer or shorter time)? Party is in two weeks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

13 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 14

I've heard of people using coffee cans to bake cakes in but I've never done that before... I'm sure if you did, you'd have to lower the temperature of the oven otherwise you'd have a hard time getting it to bake and get done in the middle... Do you think you could just bake several small round cakes and stack them to get the heighth and just put a dowel stick thru the center to secure it? not sure exactly how your plans are to decorate the cake .. good luck and post the pics .. we'd love to see it! icon_smile.gif

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 14

I found this picture of one that someone did. I only found it cause I am apparently stupid and didn't know what a tiki was.......lol
LL

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 14

Not that I have tried this,But I think if I baked in a coffee can,I would firtst stop at the local hardware store and buy a couple of the longest nails that I could to act as heating cores.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:08am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbyrobin

Not that I have tried this,But I think if I baked in a coffee can,I would firtst stop at the local hardware store and buy a couple of the longest nails that I could to act as heating cores.

Would that be safe? It wouldn't poison you?

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:22am
post #6 of 14

Why don't you just bake 4 or 5 rounds and stack them up with a dowel in the middle to keep it stable?

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:26am
post #7 of 14

I would probably do what others have said and stack multiple layers on top of each other with a dowel through the middle, seperating with a board and dowels every couple of layers just like any stacked construction cake... that would make it easier to cut, too!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:10am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbyrobin

Would that be safe? It wouldn't poison you?

Good point, mjones...Not sure, but I would probably just make sure I got UN galvanized steel nails...nails without a coating on them to keep them from rusting. Otherwise, it'd probably work great, imo.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:17am
post #9 of 14

I have heard of people using soup cans isnt that the same as a coffee can only smaller????? if you cook at a lower temp and use a flower nail wouldnt that work???? never tried it just a thought.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:24am
post #10 of 14

If you used a couple of three inch deep pans and put them together...I bet that would work. icon_smile.gif
traci

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:30am
post #11 of 14

Make sure you bake with things that are food safe. I have had food poisoning and wished I had died! Use a metal kabob skewer instead of a nail the hardware store. Also they have bamboo kabob skewer to check for doneness of the cake.

nola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nola Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:59am
post #12 of 14

Suzeep,
Partyanimal has one in her photos. Hope it helps.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:07am
post #13 of 14

I have baked in large tuna tins ......worked well.

1. which-ever cans have had food in them, then they are food-grade quality
2. Whatever cans you use, line them before filling with batter.
3. aluminium, steel or tin is good - anything coated is NOT.

We [aust] have nut roll tins or date roll tins in which we bake cake rolls - one nut roll tin = 8 1/4 x 4 1/2 loaf tin. It does not need a baking core or flower nail to distribute heat. The dimensions are radius 80mm x height 170mm/3 inch radius x 6.7inch height cylinders.

A word of caution: flower nails are stainless steel, hardware nails are not - buy stainless steel.....

suzeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzeep Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Suzeep

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%