Wilton Class Worthwhile?

Decorating By kgyurisin Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm by annieluz

kgyurisin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgyurisin Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 24

I have been making cakes for friends, mostly kids birthday's, nothing fancy. Lately though, I've had more requests. Everything I've done has just been trial and error and practicing. I've never taken any lessons. My question is, would a wilton class be beneficial to me? Many of you have taken them before, and since I'm not really sure what they could teach me, would you recommend them? You can see by my gallery, kinda where I stand.
Thanks!

-k

23 replies
chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 24

To be honest, your work is really nice! SO neat. You have a real knack for cake decorating. I don't know how much you would actually benefit from the classes, but they are a lot of fun and not overly expensive. I would recommend them for the fun aspect and you may learn something! I am taking them again after taking them last year just because it is nice to get that me time and I am doing something I love!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 24

Your cakes are already good. But is there something that could be gotten from a good teacher in a Wilton class? There might be. Or even an improvement on a technique. Here in my neck of Iowa, the classes are running half price (don't know about elsewhere). And my teacher was/is phenomenal. She was more than worth the $17.50 I paid for each course.

If I were you? I would sign up for a class (especially if they are running the half-price thing where you are) assess the abilities of the teacher and THEN make up your mind. I think in your case it is the teacher that will make the difference.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 24

Hi ,you are really talented.
When I took my wilton classes,I already was doing a lot of decorating on my own and just saw the add in paper for Michaels wilton classes they were 50% off, so I just went and registered. What I found out was that many things I use to do MY way got much better the way my instructor showed me .I took all the classes offered and got much better. No doubt I learned most of the things that I now know from CC but wilton classes helped me a lot.
By the way ,classes in Michaels are 50% off in the month of July with a coupon. They are going to be the cheapest in July around $12.50. Go for it .

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 24

I thought the classes were really fun! I learned a lot.

Course 1 you learn how to properly ice a cake and how to make Wilton's BC recipe, Roses, star tip techniques, pattern transfers, clowns, writing, figure piping, shells, drop flowers, leaves, vines, and bows

Course 2 you learn rosettes, reverse shells, rosebuds, mums, how to make royal icing and colorflow, apple blossoms, violets, victorian roses, daisies, primroses and basketweave

Course 3 you learn cornelli lace, sotas, bead borders, brush embroidery, stringwork, ruffle borders and garlands, how to cover a cake in fondant, fondant roses, how to decorate using fondant, stamens, how to construct a tiered cake, and using a lily nail to make lilies, poinsettias, petunias, and morning glories.

Fondant & Gumpaste Course you learn how to tint and marbelize fondant, how to cover a cake board with fondant, fondant embellishments, garland and borders, gumpaste daisies, carnations, calyxes, leaves, and fantasy flowers

Basically, I think you learn a lot and it's worth the money to me.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 24

Of course it all depends on the teacher but you may pick up a pointer or two and they are cheap enough to take. Your work is very good.

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 24

I think your cakes are great! I was unsure of whether to take the classes, but I know a few people who took them and they loved it! So, I am actually on the phone as we speak signing up for a course... you never know what you may learn! I'm excited! GOOD LUCK!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 24

and (to add to everyone else's) it's a great way to meet people in your area that enjoy doing the same thing you like to do! It's a great time and place to learn and socialize! I really enjoyed the classes!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 24

Thank you so much everyone for your input!! I also have been wondering whether the courses are worth taking. I don't think my cakes are as good as yours yet kg, but wasn't sure how much they were either. I think I will look into them!! Thanks again all! icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 24

I am taking coure 3 at the moment and so far i havent learnt anything i didnt already know how to do. But we are going to learn the royal icing flowers tonight, which i havent done yet. I think there is always something you can learn from people that have been doing it for a while, or maybe just a differant trick. Dont forgot michaels has the 40 or 50% off coupon you can use to buy your kit as well so it makes it a little more affordable

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 24

Your work is beautiful. You are very talented. You never know what you can learn in class though. My instructor was great. She would give us tips, tricks and hints that aren't in the Wilton books. It's pretty cheap, so if you don't like it, you're probably only out $15. But it could be that you pick up a thing or two that makes it worthwhile!

kgyurisin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgyurisin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #12 of 24

Thanks everyone, for the replies and all the kind words! I guess I just wasn't sure if it was maybe more geared towards someone who has never done any decorating before, (definitely not trying to say that there isn't more I can learn) icon_wink.gif Thanks!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #13 of 24

Does one class equal one course? Or is it several classes per course? Would it be priced per class or for the whole course? If its only 12 something I will absolutly do it! I need a little bit of fondant or gumpaste instruction. icon_smile.gif

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Does one class equal one course? Or is it several classes per course? Would it be priced per class or for the whole course? If its only 12 something I will absolutly do it! I need a little bit of fondant or gumpaste instruction. icon_smile.gif

Each course consists of 4 classes, spread over a month (a class per week). Seems like Wilton is offering each course for 17.50 each--so you pay $17.50 for 4 classes and then the additional cost of the kit and other supplies.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #15 of 24

one course consists of four separate sessions of 2 hrs each. The entire course ( all four, 2 hour sessions) are around 20 or so dollars depending on the discount available to you

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #16 of 24

kgyurisin, I've had a look at all your cakes...I can see the progress you have made in just those cakes. If you feel confident in your use of the decorating tools, then anything else you need to learn can be learned here on CC. It's all up to you.

Many here have never attended any decorating classes and are completely self-taught. And they are fabulous cake decorators. A friend and I took Course I together and we liked the fun aspect of taking the classes, plus getting out of the house and away from the chaos of our kids for one evening a week! icon_biggrin.gif That was 20 years ago. We had a great instructor. Some people here on CC were not so lucky and got a mediocre or even bad instructor.

I think if I ever decide to finally try fondant or gumpaste, I might take that Wilton Course. But I haven't any interest in doing that just yet.

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #17 of 24

Your cakes are great kgyurisin. I tool all 4 of the Wilton courses with my 11 year old daughter. I was actually thinking of taking course 2 and 3 again. I cant remember for the life of me how to make the royal icing flowers, well exept the daisy and easter lili. Maybe this time around I will take the classes by myself that way I dont have any distractions. Luckly my instructor was cool with having a kid in her courses. The classes are a lot of fun and you meet a bunch of intresting people.

Denise.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:04pm
post #18 of 24

I dont know how they can make money like that. I could never do classes that cheap. lol. Of course I know the kits cost a lot. I have all the books...somewhere. My hubby packed them and for the life of me cant find them but if I had to Id tear apart the den. I want to find them anyway. Thanks for all the info. If there isnt too much I already know for the fondant and gumpaste class I think I may want to do that.

annieluz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #19 of 24

I think your cakes are great! I was unsure of whether to take the classes, but I know a few people who took them and they loved it! So, I am actually on the phone as we speak signing up for a course... you never know what you may learn! I'm excited! GOOD LUCK!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #20 of 24

I have had several people take the classes from me that were "experienced" cake decorators - and everyone of them has said they were glad that they did it - that they learned something new or a new way of doing something they already do. One woman told me watching me do the viva trick was worth $25 alone! icon_wink.gif

I would say just go into it with the mind set that you may learn something and you may not - but it is an evening out for a relatively small amount of money! I have met and now have many folks that are lifelong friends thanks to them taking my wilton classes. icon_smile.gif

annieluz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #21 of 24

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #22 of 24

I took the classes, but I had never decorated a cake before in my life! Down the road, I enjoyed it so much that I became an instructor.

I had lots of experienced cake decorators take the class and all of them were glad they did.

And you do meet some great people!

I think everyone should take any available class when it comes to something they love to do. You will always learn something. And I always added extra material to each course!

Good luck!
angie

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #23 of 24

I took the Wilton course in the late 70's when you only had one class. No one was doing fondant or gumpaste. I got away from decorating for many years, but fortunately kept my supplies. I have recently started decorating again as a fund raiser, and I took the fondant and gumpaste course, then followed up with Courses 2 and 3 (skipped Course 1). I am very glad I took these and now I want more!!

annieluz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 24

whoops! just noticed I reposted too many times... sorry about that!!

icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%