Flower Cake Pan. Need Help....

Decorating By lesn Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm by Bluehue

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

Okay this may seem like a silly question, but I need some help. I am making a flower shaped cake (the wilton pan) and I am wanting to do a double layer and fill it. Do I need to make two cakes and stack them? Should I make one and cut it in half and fill that or will it be too small/thin? Or is there a way to make more cake so it's thicker? Any help or ideas would be a great help! Thanks so much!!!

4 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

in my opinion there are several ways of doing this depending on how high you want your cake.

You could cut it in half ( the cakes are already pretty high so i think this is your best bet.)

Or you could make 2 cakes, and cut the design off the bottom layr ( but this would make your cake quite high!)

hope that helps!

lesn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the help. I think I will just make one and cut it in half. Do scratch recipes and box mixes make about the same amount of batter? Or would I be better off doing one or the other? Thanks!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 5

Remember that scratch recipes are not the same. The amount of batter varies recipe by recipe.

It is completely up to you with what you are comfortable with. You can do scratch or a box mix. I suggest you try the original WASC recipe if you are not used to scratch.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 5

Hi lesn,
I have flower pans - and mine are 3inches high.
After torting, filling and then covering they are then just on 3 1/2 inches tall.

If you wanted them to be a little taller you could try toring each cake twice.

When making my cakes i use my own ingrediants (not boxed) and should i need more cake batter then sometimes i will make one and half times the recipe....collar my pan and fill the pan more than 3/4 full.
This will ensure that the cake will rise just over the top of the pan - then i allow for it to cool - pop it in the fridge for say an hour - then i can level it to the height i require.

This makes it better if you want to tort and fill each cake twice.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%