Question About Wires In Cake...

Decorating By mom2aidan Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 3:31am by patticakesnc

mom2aidan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2aidan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

I see people putting wires in their cakes with stars, balls, etc. attached to the ends in their cakes all the time, but then I also read quite frequently that you should never put wire directly into your cake.

So, my question is should you never put any wire directly into the cake? If not, is there a secret method to using wire that I can't seem to find? Or is there a food safe wire maybe?? I don't know, just trying to figure out how to do it correctly... icon_smile.gif

Thanks.

5 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 6

I had so much trouble finding info on this myself - (for some reason it doesn't come up in a search!)

Anyhow, you should NOT put wire directly in contact with your cake. You can insert them in straws, and then insert the whole thing into the cake. Some people put royal icing or chocolate inside the straw to keep it from moving around. I have tried this and it seems to work well. (Did it with chocolate stars & hearts on my gymnastics cake and fondant stars on my Dora cake)

HTH!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome!

Here's a link to the topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632290-wires.html

As you can see, some are quite passionate on the subject. The method suggested first, coffee stirrers, is probably your easiest way to ensure you are food safe.

HTH!

mom2aidan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2aidan Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much!! When I searched I couldn't find anything. This helps a lot. Off to decorate!!

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 6

just finished a cake with stars coming out the cake, I used something called a posy pick, it is like a little test tube with a pointed end to make inserting it into the cake easier. You then can fill it with icing to stop the wires moving around too much.

Hope it helps.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

I use a coffee straw to put on the end of the wire and insert that into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%