Will This Work? Dowelling Q

Decorating By meghanb Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm by txnonnie

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have a 4 tiered wedding cake coming up at the end of August - I am totally stressing about it because a)I've only ever done a 2 tier and b)it's for one of the richest, most hoity toity families in our town.
I know I have to dowel each tier, and then I am guessing to be safe I should put a dowel through the whole thing. But I don't want a hole in the top tier...so would it work if I made the cake board from plywood, then screwed the dowel into it? I'd then cut an appropriate sized hole in each cardboard circle and just slide the cakes onto it.
Something tells me a I am wildly overthinking this and it would be as horrible as I think it will be. The cakes are 12, 10, 8 and 6 inches.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 7

.........to be safe I should put a dowel through the whole thing. But I don't want a hole in the top tier...so would it work if I made the cake board from plywood, then screwed the dowel into it? I'd then cut an appropriate sized hole in each cardboard circle and just slide the cakes onto it. ......

I see NO reason to go to such great lengths icon_smile.gif
Soooooo many of us have made 4 and even 6 tier cakes w/o using such an elaborate set-up.

SPS or well doweled will do nicely. And don't worry about a hole in the top tier. It can be filled w/icing once you remove the dowel, if you use one.
I make that center dowel 2" *longer* than the cake is tall so I can pull it out once I have the cake in place. Then hide the hole w/a flower, leaf or fill w/icing.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 7

Yep you are overthinking it. Go ahead and assemble the cake with cardboard rounds making sure ever tier is dowelled properlin then put a center down down the center of the entire cakes (cutting the dowel slighter shorter than the cake. Then fill the top in with icing. Smooth it out and your ready to go. They will probably be using a topper which will cover any holes or maybe not so smooth section. If you prefer not to do that then just dowel 3 tiers and add the last tier at the reception site. Voila!!!! No hole.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

Good morning-don't sweat it. I just made a 5 tier wedding cake and delivered it assembled about 30 miles away.

I used a wooden base (a table top-new from Lowes). Every tier was on a circle of foam core. Duct taped the largest foam to the wooden base. Each tier had bubble tea straws for support. After the 3rd tier was placed I used a wooden dowel a little off center through the entire cake (down through the foam layers). Add the remaining tiers and dowel again (center). For extra security, I used a 3rd dowel opposite side from the first.

Sounds complicated, but it was simple and successful. Sugar Shack's stacking video is very helpful.

This is if you do not have the SPS system - which I do not.

I'm sure others will share their way of stacking as well. Good Luck!

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you. icon_smile.gif I knew I was over-thinking it, but I don't want my first major wedding cake to be a major flop (literally).
Is it safe to do it without the centre dowel?
I'm covering the cake in fondant, so I guess I could also cut a small piece to cover the hole as well.
The cake doesn't have far to go, less than 3 miles.
Does a dowel move easily through cardboard, or does it kind of rip throught the cake too? Blah, stupid brain, always working too hard. icon_razz.gif
Time to go find SugarShack's website.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 7

Check out the SPS support system and you wont need a center dowel. There is a sticky at the top of this forum.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

The dowel will go through the cardboard. I first sharpen one end to a point as to help go through the cardboards. Could you dowel the top layer with your crumb coat. Remove it and cover with fondant and then slip it back onto the dowel using the same hole in the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%