Can I Frost A Styrophoam Dummy Cake With Imbc

Decorating By AngelEyes26 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm by __Jamie__

AngelEyes26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 9

I have to do a 9" tier for the middle of my 3 tier cake as a dummy cake. Can I frost it in IMBC like the rest of my cake? It is an indoor summer wedding, ut may not be air conditioined. Will it hold up??????

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 9

i think you can use it to do the dummy cake, as to whether it will hold up, i cant help you, sorry.
xx

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 9

Humm... interesting question.

I wouldn't think it would hold well to the styrofoam because of the butter and the oiliness of it as it comes to room temperature.

Here's an idea that would certainly be less expensive and might work better: what about coloring royal icing to match your exact shade of IMBC and using that? If you need ivory, Americolor makes a lightly tinted one and a few drops will get you there. Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

I did a three tier wedding cake in SMBC, and the top two were dummies. I decided not to put the dummies in the fridge to "keep" better, as it may have cracked off. I kept them at room temp (well, room temp for my studio is 72 to 75 degrees, and kept them out of the sun while delivering. It was a very thin coat of SMBC on the dummies too. It's the cake with the hydarangeas on top of it.

AngelEyes26 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I did a three tier wedding cake in SMBC, and the top two were dummies. I decided not to put the dummies in the fridge to "keep" better, as it may have cracked off. I kept them at room temp (well, room temp for my studio is 72 to 75 degrees, and kept them out of the sun while delivering. It was a very thin coat of SMBC on the dummies too. It's the cake with the hydarangeas on top of it.

So if I wanted to have the cake finished the night before the wedding, adn it was already at the location which is indoors, Can I put it in the fridge? It is the middle tier and I am in the wedding party. So putting it together while in my dress was soemthign I was trying to avoid.. but I do not want it to ruin the whole cake after all of that work? If I cannot put it in the fridge and I have to put the cake together before the reception, will the italian merengue sit out all night without going bad? I am not sure if it is even air conditioned.. it won tbe eaten.. but i am worrie dmore abotu melting and loosing its look. (first timer here) tha tis why i thought maybe fondant under the icing might give it somethig nto stick to and insulate it??

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 9

I wouldn't worry about it going bad. No one's gonna be eating it. But it will be touching icing that will be consumed. I say refrigerate it and be careful after you take it out of fridge.

AngelEyes26 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #7 of 9

Great thank you very much for the help!!!!

DenaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaB Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 9

Why wouldn't you use fondant if the cake were to be outside in June? I would never even attempt a buttercream stacked cake subjected to the summer weather. I would call and tell them last minute change due to weather...you are getting a fondant overlay to protect the cake from melting in the heat

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

Oh shoot...if it was fondant covered dummy, you don't need anything at ALL under the fondant. Missed that part.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%