Please Help!!

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 3:03am by chefjess819

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 5

I'm in the process of making my grandaughter's b.day cake and both of the 10" layers have cracked and broken. I'm afraid that when I cover them w/ the icing, they will crumble to pieces (IF they even make it to the cake board!). I've heard about crumb coating (never done it, tho), but I really don't know that that will be enough. Should I start all over or is there any way to salvage them? Thanks for always being here for me....I hope there isn't a limit on the number of questions we can ask icon_confused.gif

4 replies
HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

First to start there is a few times I have made sheet cakes and they were pretty much in pieces and I was able to mend them back together by putting the think layer of icing on refrigerating and then pulling it back out and icing like normal. Although I haven't done this with a two layered cake. If they both are pretty bad you might want to play it better safe than sorry and use the broken cake to make cake balls...im sure she'd love those as well.

AS far as the number of questions I dont think there is a quota if there is im in trouble haha...good luck

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #3 of 5

crumb coating is just using a little more liquid in your icing .. and icing the cake.,litely and let it sit for little bit .. this picks up any crumbs.. but this will not help. personally, i would bake the layers over. i truly don,t think you can save them.. maybe someone else has a different answer. like i said .. i would not take that chance.. hth

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #4 of 5

I have been able to do it and it hold with a sheet cake but I had just one layer of a 10 inch crack and I thought it would be ok, but it wasn't. I got the cake made and left the room. When I came back the back side was lying on the counter! Where the cake was cracked it wasn't sturdy enough to hold the weight of the buttercream.....my advice...start over.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 5

i had a cake stick to the bottom of the pan this past saturday nite. when i flipped the cake out and saw this (second cake i had to bake btw first one fell apart), i grabbed some choc icing i had left over in the fridge and slapped it all over the bottom, then let it cool completely. when i flipped it back to the side i was going to decorate, it stayed perfectly together. hope this helps with your dilemma! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%