Beer Anyone? Oh I Mean Beer Buttercream?

Baking By Mel2085 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 7:30am by Bunsen

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering....Has anyone ever made beer buttercream before?? My husband found a beer cake recipe but he wants beer buttercream too....I know it can be done because I've seen it on the food network on one of their cake shows....if only i could remember which one!! Anyways, it would be awesome if I could figure this out (with your help of course) because it might get me out of doing laundry for at least a week! So help a sister out! icon_wink.gif

9 replies
josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 10

i know that on last seasons Amazing Wedding Cakes on WE they made a stout buttercream...but i'm not sure how they did it...it looked like they just added it to the recipe (maybe replaced the liquid with the beer). I made the Guiness cake that is in the gourmet cakes thread and it got RAVE reviews!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

should be as simple as subbing the beer for all the liquids (water/milk/flavorings) in the recipe.

tho' == IMnotsoHO -- an insult to the beer!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 10

I saw Laurie make one on one of the episodes if Amazing Wedding Cakes last season, she just reduced a very good quality ale and added it to her BC, you could try this or google the show for recipes, I don't really know if they are available but you can try. HTH

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 10

I could totally see stout like Guinness being added to a chocolate bc, that would be delicious. Chocolate stout cake is yummy so I am sure a similar bc would be very good.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 10

So, does it taste like beer? I've never heard of this! I've got a couple of recipes for guiness cakes and stuff like that but I've never heard of beer buttercream! Is is good?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 10

I have not tried this, but it doesn't look that hard.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Guinness Buttercream Frosting for Super Bowl Cupcakes
Courtesy of:
Amy Berman, Executive Pastry Chef & Co-Owner of Vanilla Bake Shop
Ingredients
2 Cup(s) Unsalted Butter (room temperature)

5 Cup(s) Sifted Powder Sugar

1/2 Cup Milk

1 Whole Scraped Vanilla Bean

1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract

2 Cup(s) Guinness Extra Stout

Steps
In a sauce pan, simmer Guinness on low heat for 10-15 min, until it stout becomes reduced and thicker in consistency. Similar to a syrup. *Tip: keep your eye on the store, so stout does not over cook. Let cool.

In a stand alone mixer, cream your butter for 1 minute

Slowly add the powder sugar in thirds, alternating with a little milk each time till mixture is creamy.

Add scraped vanilla bean and vanilla extract.

Slowly add reduced Guinness a little at a time. Taste test to desired flavor. You may not use all the Guinness reduction.

Place buttercream in a piping bag with a #848 french star tip, frost cupcakes and enjoy!

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I could totally see stout like Guinness being added to a chocolate bc, that would be delicious. Chocolate stout cake is yummy so I am sure a similar bc would be very good.

Mmmm, chocolate stout cake sounds great - do you have a recipe? I too am thinking I could get out of doing the laundry for a while if I whipped up one of these!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #9 of 10
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 7:30am
post #10 of 10

Fantastic, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%