Ice Cream Cake Help!! Dq Won't Do A Special Order

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 12:38am by Evoir

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:49am
post #1 of 17

Its my brothers birthday on the 27th and he really wants an ice cream cake, he has celiac disease, which means has to begluten free and the local DQ wont do a special order without the cookie part.....I know i was shocked too!
Anyhow do any of you know the best way to replicate the fudge stuff they use, you know the best part! Also what would be the best to use for the borders and such, I'm guessing not straight BC.
Anyone with any ideas or previous experience I pray you for you guidance!!!!
TIA,
Ashley

16 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #2 of 17

I can't help you...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:08am
post #3 of 17

Hmmm. I am not int he USA and so have no idea about the DQ icecream cakes, but I do make an Italian icecream cake (cassata) for my husband every year for his birthday, and several more from time to time for others.

I have used a soft ganache for both topping and piping on the cake - it needs to be softer than normal because of course its getting frozen icon_smile.gif Its just chocloate and cream so that would be okay for a celiac disease sufferer.

CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 17

Evoir- thats sounds good is there a recipe I would follow or is it basically layered ice cream?

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 17

I'm terribly sorry in advance if this doesn't help, but I've never had a DQ cake so i have no idea what you're talking about.... But I have made cakes gluten free for friends with celiac disease. The recipie I use is the one from Julia Child's book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". It is the Queen of Sheba, or Reine de Saba Chocolate Almond cake. It calls for 1/2 cup of flour and I successfully substitute 1/2 cup of rice flour.

It is so delicious and fudgy who could ask for more... but here's more if you want the ice cream cake of your dreams.

After baking and cooling, find a bowl (size matters, so find one whose opening is kind of the same size around as your cake). Into the bowl put up to 1/2 gallon of your favorite slightly softened ice cream. Top that with your layer of queen of sheba cake. Press down firmly, cover with plastic wrap and freeze the whole thing till solid.

Now it's your choice upon unmoulding to wither put a merangue topping on it and put it under the broiler for a few minutes and turn it into baked alaska or just top it with some whipped cream frosting and ganache and serve.

HTH!

CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 17

Ohh thats sounds good too! Thanks so much for the ideas!

DQ is Dairy Queen BTW, I probably should have clarified icon_wink.gif

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 17

Just a though I have had success with layer of crushed Oreo's, cover with ganache, ice cream and continue to layer for at least 3 layers. I know you cannot use the Oreo's but maybe a choc. cookie that is gluten free. Hope this helps!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 17

I'm not sure if DQ makes their cakes on site or gets them shpped in from a warehouse. If they do make them on site, try calling a few other shops. Or if you have a Carvel down there, they may be able to help. Their cakes are great and only have the cookie crumb/crunch in the center which they could eliminate. Also, how about Baskin Robbins? But I think they are like DQ. I recommend Carvel.

Good Luck!

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 17

My favorite ice cream cake (home made) is vanilla ice cream with brownies broken up into it. I don't know if there are gluten free brownies available, but you never know. You could swirl in some chocolate fudge while mixing in the brownies too.

CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 17

We don't have a carvel or Baskin Robbins...I know it's devastating! So My options are quite limited except for making one myself! The thing I am most curious about is what type of icing to use?! What do they use for the decorations?

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 17

I thought I read on another link that someone who had worked at DQ said the frosting used was Pastry Pride or an equivelant. Where I live I can find it at Cash n Carry but I've heard that some have found it at grocery stores. I don't know if it's gluten free.

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 17

You would need to use the stablized whip cream icing. And you can make your own fudge for the middle or but some at the grocery store near the ice cream section usually.

DimplesDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DimplesDelights Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 17

Hot Fudge Sauce

6 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
small pinch of salt
1/3 c. hot water

Melt Chocolate peices in a double boiler. Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and salt. Stir constantly until the mix is slightly thickened. Stir in hot water. Let cool, cover & refirgerate.

In your case you would let cool and layer into the pan ontop of the ice cream.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 17

When I make ice cream cakes I like to use Rich's BetterCream whipped icing. Do you have a GFS store in your area? You can buy it by the carton. You whip it up and you can add flavors to it. Sam's sells it, but only by the large bucket that is already whipped and frozen. You wouldn't need that much.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimplesDelights

You would need to use the stablized whip cream icing. And you can make your own fudge for the middle or but some at the grocery store near the ice cream section usually.

I've used this and I've also used coolwhip straight out of the tub (not sure about whether or not it is Celiacs safe)

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #16 of 17

My kids always loved DQ birthday cakes. Two or 3 times, long ago, when I tried to replicate the cakes (ha ha, there's no cake in that cake!), I simply used fudge sauce that you find with the ice cream toppings. I just figured that's what they use since they are an ice cream shop.

You can get away with no "icing", just smooth ice cream on top. Or I've used Cool Whip.

I recently filled a cake with chocolate ganache (60% cocoa chocolate chips with heavy cream) and sprinkled Oreo crumbs over it. Inspired by DQ. icon_smile.gif

That's the easy way out, anyway!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #17 of 17

Sorry it took me a while to get back in here...yes, the cassata is a layered icecream cake and you make each layer from eggs and cream and powdered sugar and vanilla, or chocloate or strawberry or espresso coffee....the choices are limitless! I always toast flaked or slivered almonds and blend them through one of the layers too. Traditionally one layer has an almond essence flavour with chopped glace cherries through it, but my people prefer my concoctions. The chocolate layer seems to be the favorite around here -- its made from 70% cocoa dark Lindt chocolate.

Topping it I would use a poured ganache on the top (when it is still in the springform tin in the freezer) and when that is set pipe in your rosettes of whipped ganache and nuts or other decorations.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%