Gumpaste Or Fondant Figure. Please Help.

Decorating By pinkslppr Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm by ninatat

pinkslppr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkslppr Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #1 of 7

Hi. I need to make a figure of a cartoon character(Sonic the hedgehog) and I don't know if I should use gumpaste or fondant to sculpt this. The last time I sculpted I used gumpaste but there were many lines and not nice and smooth like Lorraine 's. also it is to be standing. Should I use wire? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 7

I normally use 50-50 of both fondant & gumpaste when I model figures. Hope that helps.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 6:26am
post #3 of 7

I agree with jud creations...a 50-50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste will help you achieve the smoothness that is not so easy to achieve with gumpaste alone.

Since Sonic has thin legs, in order to support the body weight for a standing figure, I suggest you use wire or toothpics in the legs,...which ever you are comfortable using.

Hope this helps.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 7:01am
post #4 of 7

Make sure you take your time and let everything dry!! Such as...don't put the body on the legs to soon (if that's how you plan on making it) cause they won't be strong enough to support the body, etc. I agree, I would use either toothpicks, or spaghetti for more support.

pinkslppr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkslppr Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #5 of 7

Thankyou everyone for your help and quick reply. The birthday boy will (hopefully) be very happy.

CakesByJana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJana Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 7

What brand of fondant and gum paste do you recommend for modeling? I was practicing with a 50/50 mixture of wilton gum paste and wilton fondant but it was drying out waaaay to fast. I am making two frogs kissing for a wedding cake topper.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 7

yes i made elmo, and grover out of fondant they came out cute but ended up with big buts lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%