Help!!! I Simply Can't Get The Hang Of The Ball Tool!!!

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 12:03pm by Loucinda

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 7

Ladies I need some help.......I know the ball tool is supposed to be used to give ruffles and flowers some shape, but when I use it it does nothing! What am I do wrong? I roll it over the edges in different speeds to see if that will work and still nothing!
Just to answer the inevitable I havent taken the Wilton courses yet! I have the first day of course 1 on Thursday so it won't be awhile yet until the gum paste course!
So if there are any tips or tricks or anything that you that can help I would be ever so grateful!!

6 replies
CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #2 of 7

have you tried looking for videos out there on youtube or other places?
that might help get the visual on how to use it, when i cut out flowers or petals I use the ball tool to round out the petals, you want to use it in a circular motion typically, it depends on what you are trying to make. I wish I could describe it better maybe some one has a tutorial out there or there is a video that can describe it better. if i can find one I will post one for you icon_wink.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 7

over what surfaceare you doing it? remember you have to use some kind of foam underneath the paste.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 7

You may already know this but just in case you have to do the rolling on a pad of some sort to get the effect. Wilton sells a soft square pad to roll on. This is key to success.

You have to use a gentle pressure, make sure there is plenty of confectioner's sugar or corn starch under your gumpaste or it will just stick and not have the freedom of movement needed to make the ruffle. Also, the ruffle tends to show more once you pick it up off the pad.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 7

You have to use it in conjucntion with a foam pad of some kind. You roll out the fondant or gumpaste and place it on to the foam pad and then use the ball tool to frill the edges and as youpush down the foam will give and you will stretch the edge out of shape and make it wider then it was. the extra width is what prevents it from laying flat and gives it the frill. If you then turn the peice over and frill the edges a bit more while leaving gaps it will have a nice up and down flow to the frilled edge.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 7

Thanks ladies I have been using the flower forming foam I have a couple actually! But maybe I'm not dusting it enough that's a good point I'll try again!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 7

Use the thin foam piece (not the thick one) Make sure it is powdered really well (use a new knee high - put a couple T. powdered sugar and a couple T. cornstarch to use to powder your foam) sometimes I even "roll" the ball tool over that to powder it also.

Roll out your fondant/gumpaste thin - if it is thick it will not ruffle either. If you are using a wilton mat to roll it out, you should be able to see the lines or writing on the mat through the fondant/gumpaste.

Roll on the VERY EDGE of the fondant/gumpaste - your ball should be 1/2 on the edge and 1/2 on the foam - right on that edge. Use medium pressure to roll it and it should ruffle for you.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%