How To Make A Fish Bowl?

Sugar Work By shell62995 Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm by PinkPetals

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making an Elmo cake w/Abbey. I want to put Dorothy his pet goldfish on the cake. I'll prolly have it maybe 3 inches in a 'glass' bowl. How do I make a 'glass' fish bowl? Any suggestions?
TIA!
Michele

6 replies
misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 7

Oh wow...I have no idea, just a bump.
Actually...not that I would know how to do this or be able to give directions on it; on a cake challenge on FN they made a drinking glass out of gelatin. I do recall them having trouble with it though like they could not get the seams to stick to one another.

Good luck and post a picture so we can see how it turned out!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 7

I made a dorothy and Elmo cake recently, it is in my pics. For the fish bowl, I put 2 rounds on their sides with the top and bottom cut off and covered in blue and white fondant. I made dorothy out of a cookie and put it on the bowl. I also put it on the other side of the bowl so it was a mirror image, almost like you were looking thru the bowl. HTH

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 7

you could try using gelatin, or perhaps sugar. If all else fails. . buy a plastic one lol

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 7

any other suggestions?

mkelso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkelso Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 7

I've not done this and don't know if it would work, but it is an idea....If you are going to use pulled sugar, would it be possible to find an actual glass bowl the size you want to use and grease up the outside of it, then turn it upside down and mold your pulled sugar over it to create a pulled sugar bowl? Then you could sculpt dorothy out of fondant and put a wire underneath (in her belly) to hold her in place, just stick in right through the bottom of the bowl into the cake.

PinkPetals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPetals Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7

I haven't played around with sugar before, but on the Food Network I saw them doing blown sugar, similiar to glass blowing. They would make huge globes that were perfectly cylindrical and gorgeous. To make the outside nice and round they would slowly rotate it inside a bowl. They would cut the sugar with scissors at the base while it was still hot (it cut like tough putty) and that would leave an opening. You could gently pull the opening wider to make the mouth of your fishbowl. I'm sure it looks easier than it is, but that is what I would try in your situation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%