Edible Image And Original Wedding Cake Topper

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm by nesweetcake

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I have been asked to do a cake for a wedding vow renewal/25th anniversary. They want a single tier cake with an edible image of their wedding photo. However, she just called to say that she found her original wedding cake topper and would like it to be used as well. I have been looking through pictures on here for inspiration but haven't had any luck.

Have any of you done this type of cake? I am worried about it looking strange and off balance if I put the topper in a corner so it doesn't block the picture.

TIA

5 replies
cakesbyshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyshell Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 6

Can you put the topper obviously on the top of the cake and then put the picture on the side of the next tier down? I did something similar for my in-laws but I can't find a picture right now and there picture wasn't an edible image. But what if you put the picture (edible image) on a gumpaste plaque and then set it on the middle tier? Just throwing out ideas!!!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 6

Since you said it's a single tier - can you put the edible image on a large tier, and then make a 6" tier replicating how the original wedding cake looked, and put the topper on that? Then you won't have the issue of the topper on top of the edible image.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies. If I could do it as a tiered cake, that's what I would do...topper on the top of the cake and images around the middle tier....but she doesn't want that. I thought about doing a smaller cake with the topper and a larger cake with the image. For some reason she really wants it all on one cake. The other issue is the cake is only for about 40 people, so not a big cake. Any other suggestions?

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 6

Hmmm.....40 people.....I'm thinking a 10" or 12" square, with the picture off center, lower right, topper upper left, and the other two corners....flowers. What was her bouquet made of? Make some BC flower bouquets on those two corners. Check out kakeladi's sheet cakes for inspiration.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 6

What does the topper look like? It is open in the center or above the top were you could put the edible image plaque incorporated some way into the old topper? Perhaps you could use both, but topper to go to the left, partially elevated with a couple of small pillars or something and then 3/4 of the height of the original topper could be the image plaque to the right. I would add a nice border of pearls, or bead border to finish it off or perhaps add a floral touch to it to match the original topper. Best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%