Cake Cutting Audience...talk About Being Nervous!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm by vtcake

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 18

I did a cake for my grandaughter's 1 birthday this past week. It was pretty large, 12", 10" and 4.5". It turned out well and they loved it, so after a week of stressing about it I thought I could relax a bit. We took it into the kitchen to cut it and when I turned around from the sink after washing my hands, I had a kitchen full of party-goers wanting to watch it being dis-assembled and cut. Goodness, this cake was, besides being a birthday cake, a dry run for an even larger wedding cake I'm doing next month. I planned to use Indydeb's cutting instructions from her site but it was the first time using them. It worked great, thanks Deb! The cake show went well and my nerves finally settled. Here it is, chocolate cake with raspberry and chocolate fudge filling, butter cake with lemon curd and white chocolate bcf as a filling.
LL

17 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 18

ADORABLE!! (did you use that cake comb thing? - I still need to get one of those)

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 18

Oh my gosh! That is just the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life!!! How did you do the clouds and details -- are they gumpaste? Don't know why you were nervous -- it's absolutely adorable!!!

PennySue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you! No, no cake comb on this one. The grass, clouds and barn are all done in white chocolate fondand. The little critters and flowers were gumpaste. My daughter-in-law sent a pic of the party plates so copied it and cut the animals out of stencil plastic to use as a cutting guide. I cut them with an exacto and painted them with gel color and also edible pens.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 18

I'm just a big ham and I LUV an audience when I'm cutting a cake! None of them know how to do it and it makes me look SO smart and talented! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I got 'em all fooled! icon_lol.gif

PennySue Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm just a big ham and I LUV an audience when I'm cutting a cake! None of them know how to do it and it makes me look SO smart and talented! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I got 'em all fooled! icon_lol.gif

So true! They were amazed and it was really so easy! Forgot my cake comb at home this time. I'll be sure to remember it for the wedding. Thanks again!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 18

your cake is just beautiful.. and where do i buy the cake comb. i see it in indydebi's cake cutting instructions.. tia

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 18

That cake is just TOOOO adorable! Wonderful job.

cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 18

SOOO CUTE!!! YOUR GRANDBABY IS SO LUCKY! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 18

Your cakes is soooo cute!!!! Best farm cake i've seen!

I've had to cut two in the last two weeks - what's up w/ that? icon_lol.gif The last one for church, they didn't even have a knife! They had this plastic pie server thingy. But at least I brought my tweezers to take out the plastic dowels... Last time i cut myself trying to do it w/ a knife. icon_sad.gif

Debi, I need to get me a cake comb! Where do you get it?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 18

The cutest thing ever! You did a great job.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 18

Very cute cake! that would make me nervous also if it was the 1st cake I cut!

I agree, where do you find a cake comb at?

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 18

I totally don't want to hijack your thread but can someone point me to Indidebi's cake cutting instructions. I want to make this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636447.html

I could sure use some advice on cutting it. Especially since i've mede ones in this size before and at first the 1 1/2 x 1/1/2 x 4" slices start off ok, but quickly get all cockeyed and it turns into a mess. Thanks!

Feel free to answer in the 'cake idea's' thread i noted above so i don't hijack this one. Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 18

ebay: (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=cake+comb&_sacat=See-All-Categories

They are sometimes called cheese combs or angel food cake cutters.

But I get mine from ebay.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 18

That cake is ADORABLE!!!! How cute!

nightmoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightmoon Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 18

I don't get it. What does a cake comb have to do with cutting the cake? I thought it was for decorating/putting a pattern on the cake? Now I'm really confused.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 18

Provided you can cut a beautiful clean slice this helps you get it on the plate in one piece. It's like a big comb that you lean/catch the cake slice onto while slicing and it keeps the peice supported and the edges from crumbling off while getting it onto the plate.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #18 of 18

what a beautiful cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%