Nc Laws Seperate Kitchen With A Pet?

Business By chryscrazy Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 5:03am by chryscrazy

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 4

I know about and agree with the law that I can't run a business from my home kitchen if I have an indoor pet. Does anyone know if it would be allowed if there is a seperate kitchen, like in a garage or a workshop type building in the back? Really just wondering for the future. Just starting to get more serious with baking/decorating and dh is filling my head with visions of a seperate kitchen!

3 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not in NC, but my state has allows for cottage food production. However, if you have indoor pets, they are never allowed in that area and there has to be a door to that blocks entrance. I have 2 dogs. My regular kitche is wide open and attached to my family room which is somewhat open to the rest of my house. There was no way separate my kitchen from the rest of the house in order to fall within that law of no access to kitchen by pets, so I have been busy building a separate kitchen in my basement for the past few months. That way I can keep my babies upstairs and do my baking downstairs and everyone is happy. It's almost done too....can't wait!

I would call you Heath Department in your state and ask what the specific laws on indoor pets and food production are and go from there. Each state is so different. Good luck!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

I'm wondering the same thing, although I currently live in an apartment. I'm not about to give up my dogs so I can become legal. One of our dogs is a therapy pet for my son.

My DH wants me to look into renting space at a nearby church so that I can get licensed soon.

chryscrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chryscrazy Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Tootie. We live in an apartment now too, but plan to buy a house in about a year. My DH is a small business owner himself and he has always hounded me to open a business. I've always brushed him off until recently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%