First Wedding Cake...help!

Decorating By wakezcakez Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm by wakezcakez

wakezcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakezcakez Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everone, I'm doing my first wedding cake for this weekend and have a few quick questions for the experts at CC! The bride would like 8" lemon poppyseed, 12" Carrot cake, and 16" Vanilla cake stacked with the Wilton ball seperators. My question is how far in advance can I make the cakes. They obviously have eggs and sour cream in them so I can't leave them out of the fridge for long, and I don't have tons of extra room in my fridge. Also, any ideas for filling? The cakes will be iced in bc...no fondant. Thanks for any help and ideas! I need them! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 6

For the carrot cake, I would do a cream cheese filling. Maybe the lemon poppyseed filled with a lemon curd? The vanilla could have ANYTHING from a fruit filling to caramel to chocolate...anything! Did she say anything about what she would like? I have made cakes in the past a few weeks in advance and froze them. Double wrapped in Saran and then in foil.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 6

I froze the tiers of the wedding cake I just did. I wrapped them in saran wrap, then in the Glad Press'n'Seal stuff. It seals really well, and it keeps the freezer burn off of steaks and such, so I decided to try it on my cakes, I even put them in my deep freezer and it didn't frost bite them. Good luck on your first wedding cake!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 6

I have no advice, but I too am doing my first wedding cake for this weekend! I'm right there with ya'!

GOOD LUCK!!! We can commiserate all week! thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 6

At a class I took at a bakery I was told they start their cakes on Thursday for a Saturday event. That is meaning they start decorating on Thursday. Cake is already baked.

wakezcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakezcakez Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for all of your help! I am starting to bake today...wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%