Newbie To Cookies With Question

Baking By 2SchnauzerLady Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm by 2SchnauzerLady

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 4

I recently did a sea turtle cake with fondant flippers, but the flippers were too flimsy! Now someone wants me to do a similar turtle for a 5 year old to be (not til Nov). I thought I would replace the fondant flippers with flipper shaped cookies (I'll make my own cutting guide). I've seen a lot here with RI (which I know how to do) but I've also seen fondant used on cookies. I would like to use fondant as the finish would be the same as the cake. How do you do fondant on cookies - is it rolled or poured fondant, and if rolled, what do you use to attach it to the cookie, if poured, do you use a similar technique to RI?

3 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 4

You can do fondant on cookies two ways. Cut the fondant with the same cutter and put it on top of the cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven. That way it melts a bit and sticks.

Alternately, you can use a bit (and I mean a bit) of corn syrup brushed on top of the cookie to adhere the fondant. HTH! icon_smile.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 4

Use the same guide to cut your rolled fondant as you used for the cookie. Fondant applied as soon as the cookies come out of the oven will stick because of the heat of the cookie. Or, if you wait, a light brush of corn syrup or even water can be used to stick the fondant to a cooled cookie.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, Lenette. I have plenty of time - so I can make practice cookies with other designs - I never have anyone at work object to my bringing in homemade goodies, and since they know I am doing cakes for fundraising - they know I am bringing in my practice cakes, etc and look forward to it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%