Decorations On Gauge Wire

Decorating By babyblue113 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm by mareg

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #1 of 5

I want to put stars coming out of a cake......I see some cakes where there are stars on gauge wires 'shooting' out of cakes......how do I do this.....do I stick the wires right into the cake....how do I keep the wires from falling down.......is there a trick to sticking the stars on the wires?

THANKS

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 5

Make the star thick enough to stick the wire in and let them dry flat. Dip the wire in gum glue or meringue powder mixed with a little water, or heat the wire in a flame for a couple of seconds, before you put it into the star...any of those methods will glue the wire into the star.

It's not food-safe to put wire directly into the cake. Put the wires into straws or coffee stirs and then put those into the cake...you can put a little royal icing into the straw to hold the wires in place.

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 5

thank u!!!

what size wire should i use?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #4 of 5

It depends on the size of your decorations. Bigger decorations will be heavier and need thicker wire.

When you buy wire, you should also buy a pair of wire cutters, so you don't ruin your kitchen shears trying to cut the wires icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 5

I use 18 to 20 gauge depending on the size of the decorations

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%