Substituting Fruit Puree For Preserves?

Baking By jamieanne Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm by shanna_banana

jamieanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieanne Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I hope I'm posting this in the right section, I think I am! I want to bake chocolate raspberry cupcakes tomorrow, but the recipes I have only use raspberry preserves - I don't have raspberry preserves, but I do have frozen raspberries and am wondering if I could use pureed raspberries instead of preserves without a problem. What do you think? Thank you for any help you can give me!

-Jamieanne
http://www.sweetestkitchen.com

4 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 5

If you cook the raspberries with some sugar and enough cornstarch to thicken, you should end up with a consistency similar to preserves.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 5

Here is a recipe for raspberry filling that uses frozen raspberries and won't make your cupcakes soggy:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-25-Raspberry-Filling.html

HTH!

jamieanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieanne Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies! Oh, I want to clarify too that the raspberry preserves are mixed into the cupcake batter, so it's not a separate filling or topping. That's the main reason I was concerned about using puree instead.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieanne

Thanks for the replies! Oh, I want to clarify too that the raspberry preserves are mixed into the cupcake batter, so it's not a separate filling or topping. That's the main reason I was concerned about using puree instead.

Oops! If you look under the recipe section and search "raspberries," there are several for mixing them into the batter. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%