Why Is My Fondant Acting Up?

Decorating By SarahJane Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:31am by Larkin121

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, lately I've been having some trouble with my fondant. It's the same kind I always use, but it seems to be acting up. Can someone please tell me, Is it the heat, humidity, over-working??? Instead of the fondant looking completely smooth, it looks very pourious (sp?). And sometimes it looks like little craters in the fondant that can turn into little holes.

Any ideas? I would much appreciate it! Aloha!

8 replies
prayful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayful Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane

Okay, lately I've been having some trouble with my fondant. It's the same kind I always use, but it seems to be acting up. Can someone please tell me, Is it the heat, humidity, over-working??? Instead of the fondant looking completely smooth, it looks very pourious (sp?). And sometimes it looks like little craters in the fondant that can turn into little holes.

Any ideas? I would much appreciate it! Aloha!

I noticed that too with my fondant, since I bought a new kitchen table/cabinet (not very smooth)and work by the window (shut off), the fondant was drying while kneading it. I was wondering if it was the table, so I went back to the corner of the kitchen and knead on a very smooth counter top, my fondant was fine. I am still guessing if it was the table or working by the window was the reason, or is there any reason?

Here is the table I am talking about that I am having a problem.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1365701

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

bump

prayful Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 9

I m still new here, but what is "bump"?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

A bump is when some one does not have an answer to question, but doesnt want to read and run, so they bump your post, so it becomes more popular and shows up in the most post thread more often icon_smile.gif its a very helpful thing.

what are you kneading/rolling your fondant on ? powdered sugar or cornstarch? it could be that its drying it out much along with a mix of the heat. If thats the case, rub a little shortening into your fondant to bring it back to life.

If this hasnt happened before, then it could be your work surface, if you want a smooth finish when rolling, you will have to roll it on something smooth, otherwise your fondant will form to anyshape that its applied against x

prayful Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 9

Oh, thanks for educating me.

I use powdered sugar, use a lot of crisco too when I notice that my fondant is drying up while kneading. I have to put it back everytime to microwave for less than 10 sec to soften it. The new table I got had pin holes on it probably causing the fondant to dry.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

Powdered sugar dries out fondant - try using cornflour instead icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 9

I always seem to get those pock marks with MMF. Commercial fondant doesn't cause the same problem for me.

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 9

I have this same problem, but not every time, just sometimes. I posted about it before and never did figure out the problem. I went from MMF to MMF and thought it was solved, but last time i got the pock marks again! Maybe it does matter where you roll it, because I used a different counter the time before last and it was perfectly smooth. Weird. If anyone solves the pock marked fondant issue, please let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%