Pastry Arts Degree Blues!!

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 3:56am by indydebi

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:14am
post #1 of 9

OK...here's my dilemma. Some of you know how I just got my associates in Pastry Arts. I'm very proud of myself for getting through the whole thing. It usually takes the average person between 2 to 2 1/2 years to get it, it took me almost 4. I have 4 daughters 10,6,4, and 2...married and just recently started my cake biz.

The problem is...I'm supposed to be overjoyed to have gotten the degree...but I'm not because I STILL am not really a strong baker. I know that sounds weird. I make a mean doctored cake...but my scratch baking leaves a lot to be desired. I do feel like I deserve every letter on that degree because of the tears and sweat I put into going to school full time and online to meet the degree requirement.

Just kinda feel like a looser because I think I kinda just skated through (kept a B-C avg) and really still don't know much.

I'm now thinking of going BACK and taking a few of the courses AGAIN. Someone tell me to snap out of it please!!

8 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:50am
post #2 of 9

OK at some point i think alot of us feel this way. But as much as I who didnt go to school feel im not a stronge baker and maybe I dont deserve the credit and the position i have got at work. /damn it i rock socks and im sure you do too!!!!!! one thing i have learned here is you dont need school to learn! you have us a wealth of knowledge. In our profesion its alot of trial and error, i thinkif you need to work on some areas work on them as you go but dont put yourself done because your not the best. none of us are.(well maybe indydebi) but be proud you finished school...... you did it!!!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:46am
post #3 of 9

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. I feel I am not knowledgable in scratch baking but still bake from scratch all the time. Practice makes perfect. I was contimplating going to school because I feel that maybe there are secrets and tips tht I don't know about that would make scratch baking easier. I am surprised to hear you say that even after the course you still don't know much. What did you learn in school? You have to have picked something up that can help you. I wouldn't take more courses just yet. Can you reread some of your books. Pick up so more baking cookbooks. I hear martha stewart has a great one and of course cake bible rocks. maybe if you studied on your own and experimented and practiced weekly you will improve.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:11am
post #4 of 9

Congrats on getting your degree. Instead of going for more classes why don't you go back over your older material. I bet you'll sit there, and go WOW I know that.

Mike

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #5 of 9

I dont think you should measure your sucess by whether you bake successfully from scratch! LOL! I agree with Mike. I suggest you read your coursebooks. Perhaps, you may have needed to spend more time on the material when it was being taught. Now that school is over, you can spend as much time on the material without having to keep up pace with the rest of the class. I am sure that when you read it, it will make sense for you. Also, with anything, practice makes perfect! Perhaps, challenge yourself to slowly move out of your "comfort zone".

Good luck!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 9

Just remember, the degree is not what makes you a baker or a chef. You have been given the building blocks, and now you keep learning, keep practicing and you improve and get better with each step. Don't feel down on yourself... be proud of what you have accomplished and work hard to improve!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much. I'm in tears now just reading the responses and I appreciate you for taking the time to even respond at all. Over the last couple of days I've been going through my textbooks and notes.

PinkZiab...I'd been told that throughout my entire journey in school...the degree does not make you a chef or baker, I have to remember that. Practice practice practice and hands on experience is where I will build my strengths, thanks for reminding me.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:44am
post #8 of 9

Congratulations!! How I envy you. I've had to change my direction for school. I'm redirecting my efforts to a business degree not culinary degree at this time because of my husband's situation at work. Once I get the business degree, I'll go back and finish the culinary part.

I had to retake my basic culinary course because I couldn't get my knife cuts right. I did much better the second time around - B.

I'm proud of you with going to school and having four kids at home to take care of as well. My advice to you would be to practice, that is how I got my B in Basic.

Hang in there, we're behind you!!
Leslie

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Just remember, the degree is not what makes you a baker or a chef. You have been given the building blocks, and now you keep learning, keep practicing and you improve and get better with each step. Don't feel down on yourself... be proud of what you have accomplished and work hard to improve!

well said!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%