???cmc???

Decorating By Kenzy Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm by Texas_Rose

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I just spent the entire day going from store to store (all over San Antonio, TX) looking for CMC, tylose, or tylopur. I'm wanting to make fondant figures and I was told to mix this stuff in.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find it?

Or is there some alter. item?

What kind of results would I get if I just mixed gum paste and fondant?

What is Gum-tex? Would this work?

What exsactly does Vodka do?

OH ya what is confectiones glaze?

icon_redface.gif Ok so I think thats it for questions for now.......thank you so much in advance! icon_redface.gif DO I SOUND LIKE A NEWBEE OR WHAT!

4 replies
Kenzy Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

ONE MORE QUESTION:

When using fondant as a base (on your cake board) has anyone used it on (home made) foam boards?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 5

American Gift Shoppe at 1604 and Blanco carries Tylose. I think they close at 5 on Saturdays but I'm not positive. If you go looking for them, they're in that new center next to the Starbucks, right on the corner across Blanco from HEB plus.

Wilton's gum-tex is a substitute for it. I have half a can I was about to post free on Craigslist because I'm not ever using it again...want it? I'm in the airport area.

Also I put fondant on foam core boards and it works just fine. Very nicely actually. You don't need anything to stick it on the board, just roll it on there and it will glue itself down.

Kenzy Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

thumbs_up.gif You AWESOME! I actually live in New Braunfels.....had no idea there was someone so close to me that was on this site!!! Just got off the phone with AGShop (thanks to you) and they do close at 5pm not open Sunday...but you bet I will be there 1st thing Monday morning. It's actually right next to my hubby's store - he is the SM for the Home Depot on Evans Rd.

Thank you soooooo very much for your help. As for the gum-tex, sense I can get my hands on CMC, I think thats what I'm gonna use. AGAIN THANK YOU so much for ALL your help!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 5

Tylose is a lot better than gum-tex. It doesn't stink either. It's only $4 for enough to make about two batches of Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe (my new favorite).

The HEB plus that I was talking about is not the one at 281 and Evans...it's actually at 1604 and Blanco. It's a lot smaller than the one at 281 and Evans (but you're less likely to get run over by a Hummer in their parking lot, LOL)

To get to AGS, assuming that you come in on 35S and take 1604 to 281 to get to your hubby's store, then instead of exiting 1604 at 281, stay on 1604 and exit two exits up at Blanco Rd. Turn left on Blanco, going over the overpass, and AGS will be on your left, right there on the corner.

I saw that you were asking about confectioner's glaze too...AGS has that too, it's $8 for the bottle and you have to buy a bottle of thinner too for $6. Confectioner's glaze smells pretty bad until it's dry but it does give things a nice shine. I think most people don't use it. The thinner is used for cleaning it off of the paintbrush, because it's not water soluble.

Vodka is used to paint fondant or gumpaste, to get cornstarch off and make it shinier. You can mix vodka with gel colors and paint your fondant or gumpaste figures with that. The vodka evaporates and doesn't leave an alcohol taste.

I've seen lots of San Antonio area ladies on the forum...there's even one who's building a rental kitchen in Canyon Lake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%