Red Velvet Cake That Can Be Carved, Stacked, W/fondant????

Baking By sweetsbyl Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:15am by sweetsbyl

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for a Scratch red velvet cake that can be carved, stacked and covered with fondant.

I made Cakeman Raven's red velvet but it's not a cake for carving; I even froze it overnight before carving it.

I've heard of Sarah's red velvet cake but I'm not sure if its good for carving.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif [/u]

12 replies
sweetsbyl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 13

bump

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 13

I have one I've stacked before. I haven't carved it, but the texture is quite durable. I'm not at home right now to get the recipe but you can look it up at foodnetwork.com Its called southern red velvet cake and it is sooooooo good! If you don't find it, let me know and when I get home I'll send you the recipe.

sweetsbyl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I have one I've stacked before. I haven't carved it, but the texture is quite durable. I'm not at home right now to get the recipe but you can look it up at foodnetwork.com Its called southern red velvet cake and it is sooooooo good! If you don't find it, let me know and when I get home I'll send you the recipe.

I did find it and it looks exactly like Cakeman Raven's recipe expect his calls for cake flour. I wonder, by using all purpose flour instead of cake flour if it makes a more dense cake, therefore, better for carving/fondant?
Thanks for the tip!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 13

probably! I've never used cake flour in that recipe, and I know that in other recipes, when I want to get a denser texture I switch out cake flour for all purpose.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 13

I use Paula Deens Red Velvet. It is very dense and although I have never carved it I have torted it and feel like it would be a good choice for you.

sweetsbyl Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

I use Paula Deens Red Velvet. It is very dense and although I have never carved it I have torted it and feel like it would be a good choice for you.

Thanks, I will try it!

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

Can you post an update about your experience with that recipe? I'm looking for a red velvet cake that can stand up to carving and stacking also. Nervous about something be too crumbly and moist.

thanks!

sweetsbyl Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #9 of 13

I haven't tried it yet; I'm on vacation. I will try it in a copule of weeks and I will post my results.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 13

I have a recipe that I use for 3-D cakes but it's not scratch it start with a mix, however it is very good and stackes and carves very nicely so if you wanna give it a try here it is.

1 box Red Velvet cake (I prefer Duncan Hines)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cocoa powder
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 box chocolate pudding (4 serving size)
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup oil
2 tsp liquid red food coloring (I mix water with Americolor super red, it makes a more vibrant red then traditional liquid colorings)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix for 2 mins and bake at 325 degrees.
I have used this recipe serval times for topsy turvy's and 3-D cakes, it carves nicely and has minimal crumbs, and I think ti taste pretty darn good to, not too sweet and goes good with cream cheese.

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 13

I just baked a half sheet of this Elisa Strauss red velvet cake and it handles really well. I haven't stacked it yet but it carves just fine, even when not cold.

http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=8852

sweetsbyl Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashistation

I just baked a half sheet of this Elisa Strauss red velvet cake and it handles really well. I haven't stacked it yet but it carves just fine, even when not cold.

http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=8852

Thanks for your review of the Elisa Strauss RV cake. How high did it rise?

sweetsbyl Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:15am
post #13 of 13

I forgot to give an update.icon_surprised.gif

I ended up using Paula Deen's recipe.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%