Buttercream Icing / Satin Ribbon

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 12:59am by creativeconfections

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 4

We are doing a square buttercream iced cake and they want a satin ribbon as the base border of the layers - what is the best method to attach? I was going to back the ribbon with parchment, overlap on one corner and use double sided tape. Any suggestions or some do's and don'ts? I know it would work better on fondant but they do not want fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

I made a white square cake and attached satin burgundy ribbon around it, I put shortening on the ribbon so it would not get grease spots, the color did not bleed as far as I know but it might depending on the ribbon so ppl find this method not food safe but it is what the bride wanted.

good luck

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 4

Much debate on this one. Some say use packing tape on back of ribbon or contact paper, some iron on waxed paper. I have to do this for a wedding cake in a couple of weeks, would like to know myself which is the best way. I will be using red ribbon so don't want that to bleed through.

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #4 of 4

This is black ribbon (lucky) - I ran a test - put some buttercream on a plate, let it crust and then placed a piece of ribbon on it - left it 24 hours - no fadding or bleeding at all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%