Freezing Cakes

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 8:24am by chocolatestone

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 10

OK - I need some ideas - who freezes cakes and how do you do it? I have heard of different ways but I want to know what works the best. This is freezing for 1 week. I heard of someone who says they wrapped the cake while it was still warm - this held in the moisture.

Very interested in your ideas - thanks !!!

9 replies
c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 10

I wrap with plastic wrap while still warm and pop into freezer, moistest cake EVER! All those bakers that say, I NEVER freeze my cakes do not know what they are missing!

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 10

I wrap in press n' seal hot from the oven (can't do this with plastic wrap)and pop into the freezer. Tip from fellow cc member. Cakes always taste as fresh and moist as the day I bake them.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 10

If you were to freeze a large cake would you first put it on a cardboard round or something? How long can they stay in the freezer and still taste good and moist? I was hoping at least 2 weeks. Thanks.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 10

I've had cakes frozen for more than 2 months, wrapped. They were fine!

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 10

I have frozen mine for 6 weeks, still fresh and moist. I wrap in the press n seal, then place cake on a board in freezer just to make sure it stays level.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 10

bake, rest in the pan for 10 minutes, transfer to rack, cool completly, wrap in layers upon layers of plastic wrap, put in a ziploc or wrap in foil and pop it in the freezer.

creativeconfections Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 10

I'm sold - I have done three wedding cakes since middle of June and all were frozen by the "wrap while still warm method" and everyone said they were the moistest cakes they had had. I wrap the cakes in plastic wrap first, put the cake on a circle and then wrap with foil. Perfect everytime - - - -

creativeconfections Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #9 of 10

I'm sold - I have done three wedding cakes since middle of June and all were frozen by the "wrap while still warm method" and everyone said they were the moistest cakes they had had. I wrap the cakes in plastic wrap first, put the cake on a circle and then wrap with foil. Perfect everytime - - - -

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:24am
post #10 of 10

I still prefer to make and eat cakes fresh or the next day depending on what cake it is but if I am doing stacked or carved cakes then I always freeze them completely wrapped in layers of cling wrap while they are slightly warm. I tried freezing a cake hot once and it came out a bit too moist for my liking. I use several layers of cling wrap to prevent freezer burn. I also place each cake layer on a cardboard round before wrapping so that the cake doesn't lose it's shape. I learnt this the hard way. If you have a solid flat base in your freezer then the board wouldn't be necessary. The cakes always come out moist and are as good as, if not better, than the day you baked them. I prefer to freeze the cakes without filling. Also torting and carving a partially frozen cake is a lot easier since you can pick up the layers without worrying if they going to break or crack. This works well for large cakes especially.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%