post #1 of 58

Is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

57 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 58

I have a Damask pattern cake that's kicked my butt, but I've finally conquered it. I do a lot of Damask cakes, so I didn't give this one any extra thought. The cutters were making the pattern too tall for the side of the cake, but all is good now after a few adjustments. One more tier to go.

I'm also watching Master of Reception. There's a cake on there that is wacked - by our standards. The bride loved it. AND the pastry chef stacks the cakes and THEN ices the sides. I'd heard of it, and now briefly, saw it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 58

I'm up...cleaning, making list of low and out supplies. A friend called about 20 minutes ago to order a cake for a friend of her's for Sunday. I wanted more info...she's supposed to be calling me back "in a few minutes" (hmmmmmmm....I thought a few was 3....). No orders for this weekend so far. I'd been making bright colored gerberas earlier (I got tired of doing the fringe-y area at the center).

What about you? What do you have going?

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 58

Slow weekend. One party cake picked up this afternoon and this four tier wedding cake.

Have three weddings for next weekend, though.

Oh, and I'm throwing a bridal shower at our house Sunday night. I'l pull all that together tomorrow.

all4cake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 58

Can you tell, I type slow. No, I think slow...

I wanted to watch that!

all4cake Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 58

A bridal shower sounds like fun...to host.

Let me be the nosey rosey...who's getting married?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 58

Hello all

I have a cake in the oven WASC its going to be a 3 tier baby shower cake it almost got canceled mom had the baby this morning and is insisting the shower be held Sunday evening as scheduled baby wasnt due until July 2nd but came this morning at 7:30 A.M mom and baby are doing great

Molly

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #8 of 58

Hi guys,

I'm up and at it too... Not too much going on in my cake world yet though - I've jsut started this. I hope it picks up soon though - right now I've just put out a few flyers here and there, and word of mouth is helping. Any tips on getting going?

I do have to do a golf cake in a week and a half though... think I'm gonna do a golf bag..

Karen

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 58

Hi!

I just finished two cakes, but think I need help on one. Both cakes are for the same graduate - one represents the high school, the other college. I love the college cake - purple and gold, with a film theme. The HS cake I think is missing something, but I don't know what else to add - the cake is for a boy, and I wasn't given any more info.

Any ideas on how to make the blue cake look better?

Thanks!
LL
LL

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

A bridal shower sounds like fun...to host.

Let me be the nosey rosey...who's getting married?

A friend who is my age! She'd been divorced for years and years and met a great guy this year and they're getting married. Fairly casual affair in her back yard with a tent, caterer, cake. Lots of mutual friends. The wedding's in 2 weeks. And the shower is a cocktail party and "Stock the Bar" couples shower.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 58

Hello all!
I'm making an aquarium cake and a western over the hill cake, both for tomorrow. On the aquarium, the bottom is about 4 in. of styrofoam (the hard green floral kind). There will be a double layer 9x13 sheet cake on top of that. It's for my cousin & he wants it 2 look like the one by goodsara here on CC. Do I just cover the styrofoamw/fondant? will icing stick to the styrofoam? HELP! I've never done a dummy (or partial dummy) cake before!

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearniesue

Hi guys,

I hope it picks up soon though - right now I've just put out a few flyers here and there, and word of mouth is helping. Any tips on getting going

Karen

As long as you're legal, you could take samples and business cards around town to where you think customers might be. Since I do wedding cakes almost exclusively, I give cakes to dress shops, photographers,florists.

But the most important part is being legal.

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by candoo

Hello all!
I'm making an aquarium cake and a western over the hill cake, both for tomorrow. On the aquarium, the bottom is about 4 in. of styrofoam (the hard green floral kind). There will be a double layer 9x13 sheet cake on top of that. It's for my cousin & he wants it 2 look like the one by goodsara here on CC. Do I just cover the styrofoamw/fondant? will icing stick to the styrofoam? HELP! I've never done a dummy (or partial dummy) cake before!

Try spraying the foam with a mist of water, then put the fondant on.

That's a beautiful cake.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #14 of 58

I'm totally clueless when it comes to the legallities of it all, but I planned on spending a good part of the day tomorrow sorting it out and looking into state laws here....

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Oh, and by the way.... you (leahs) and my daughter share a birthday!

Good night guys...I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow - I'm soooo addicted! My Hubby has dubbed me 'cake nerd'! LOL

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #15 of 58

I just finished a three tier chocolate fondant cake, the top tier is decorated with dark purple scroll work, the middle tiers with dark purple dots and the bottom tier with a dark purple fondant lace appliqué

Everything is brown an purple and the topper they drop off yesterday is this tall white thing that doesn't match the cake at all icon_confused.gif

I guess I will take pictures without the topper icon_rolleyes.gif

It's 11:10pm now and I'm going to start decorating a two tier minnie mousse b/day cake.

Have fun ladies!

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 58

kearnie, there's a thread at the top of the Cake Business Forum with a chart on which states permit home kitchens to be licensed.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #17 of 58

Leahs-
Thanks! It is a beautiful cake! I pray i can do it justice! I'll post a pic when i'm done ( prob. the middle of the nite or after lunch tomorrow)!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #18 of 58

I'm trying to get up the gusto to finish a hockeystick cake (2 more pucks to fondant and that's it, but I can't seem to get up off my butt!), and then I'd LIKE to make the b.c. for a teddy bear cake with balls (now I KNOW that didn't sound right!!!), so that I can just do minimal decorations tomorrow, but it's looking more and more like I'm just going to be uber-busy tomorrow. UGH!!!!

Next week is a 24 mini ball pan catterpillar, grand piano, 2 x small hearts, and a 3 tier wedding cake. No biggie!!!!

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearniesue

Hi guys,

I'm up and at it too... Not too much going on in my cake world yet though - I've jsut started this. I hope it picks up soon though - right now I've just put out a few flyers here and there, and word of mouth is helping. Any tips on getting going?

I do have to do a golf cake in a week and a half though... think I'm gonna do a golf bag..

Karen

hey I just finished one of these last night for pick up today, uploaded it into my gallery this morning - it was a lot of fun to do and the birthday boy came with his dad to pick it up and LOVED it! icon_biggrin.gif
Now I just finished doing cupcakes for my youngest daughter first birthday this Sunday - I was going to start the cake tonight as well but had a "little mishap" when I removed it from the pan so attempt #2 just came out of the oven. I'll start on it tomorrow now, getting to late for me to start it now...something else is bound to happen icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #20 of 58

Woo hoo! Vacation time for this gal! Feet up, coffee, laptop, "cabin" in the mountains...good luck on all of your cakes tonight girls!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I'm trying to get up the gusto to finish a hockeystick cake (2 more pucks to fondant and that's it, but I can't seem to get up off my butt!), and then I'd LIKE to make the b.c. for a teddy bear cake with balls (now I KNOW that didn't sound right!!!), so that I can just do minimal decorations tomorrow, but it's looking more and more like I'm just going to be uber-busy tomorrow. UGH!!!!

LOL - yes, we know what you mean. Thanks for the laugh!

Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone have ideas for the blue cougar cake on the first page of this post???? Please????

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #22 of 58

I think there's enough design going on. I wouldn't add anything to it.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:44am
post #23 of 58

I'm done baking for tonight, I've gotta do my first topsy for my niece's 13th bday dinner for Sunday. I'm making a 10in square bottom & 8in round for the 2nd tier, I hope it turns out somewhat okay! & then I'm doing a small 5in cake for her baby bro who turned 2, he gets his own little cake, everyone else will eat sis's cake. I cannot find runts for the life of me! I need them for the border of his curious george cake. Any ideas on who may have them?

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #24 of 58

Usually Target has them. Or go to a movie theater.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #25 of 58

I'm up, prolly will be most of the night. I am so behind this week but hey I am Queen of Procrastination Nation. Didn't help I had cramps all the first part of the week. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anywhoo, got a shower cake iced, need to stack and decorate. Cookies to ice. Then a wedding cake that isn't torted or iced yet. Not a big one so hopefully it won't take too long. My first square fondant cake, I've only done square dummies before. I am a little nervous about that part.

Hoping to get to bed by 2, up at 8 to finish. Luckily the shower cake won't take long to decorate. I am praying for energy, tummies upset can't rely on caffeine tonight!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #26 of 58

I'm up! I'm working on a heart shaped tuxedo cake and have no idea what I'm doing LOL! (I posted another post about that!)

That's all I've got for this weekend! So far it's just iced - I'm stuck on what to do next.

I wanted to see Masters of Reception, I forgot about it! AND they showed cake!!! icon_cry.gif

Ok, now I see why so many people ask about having icing on the top of the cake & wanting seperated tiers - I had never heard about stacking and then icing icon_confused.gif

I'm sure the show will come on a million more times in repeats...gotta catch it soon

leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #27 of 58

mom2, I think there are instructions for that heart tuxedo on the Wilton website. Used to be there at least.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:13am
post #28 of 58

I just checked in on my FNCC to see how and what everyone is doing! I delivered my wedding cake earlier tonight for a Friday night wedding - so now I have 1 Spongebob 1st b'day for tomorrow and 4 half sheeties for Sunday!!! But I bought the impression mats from Country Kitchens - those that have either flowers, paisley, brick, stones, dots or circles -- and I am going to do the 4 sheeties for Sunday with those - just to practice and see how they turn out. I hope they are fun and uber-easy!!LOL!!

Good night ladies -- I'm going to bed before midnight for the first time in way too many Friday nights!!

Suze

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #29 of 58

Oh thank you leahs! I didn't even think of looking there, and yes...it's there! Interesting way of doing it - it's not like either thought I had!

Lenette...I thought I was the Queen of Procrastination Nation LOL!!!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #30 of 58

Long live the queens!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%